'03 3.5L Wont Start

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

zonian

'03 3.5L Wont Start

Postby zonian » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:24 am

Greetings All...just stopping in for a little help.
My son's 85K miles PF wont start. He had the oil changed on tuesday, it was OK on Wednesday, then Thursday it wouldn't start. I stopped by his place briefly yesterday during lunch; it just cranks with no hint of firing. Not sure which, if this is fuel or spark related ...didn't really have too much time to look at it. I heard the fuel pump whirring when I turned the key; but it was 10F outside so maybe frozen fuel line?

Gonna go back there this afternoon with tools and a can of starter spray. If it doesn't kick with the spray, then pretty much points to an electrical issue. What should I check first? Do these vehicles have any known issues like this? Any help or direction would be appreciated...thanks!

Paul

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Bad cam and/or crank sensors are fairly common. You should check for stored trouble codes.

zonian

Postby zonian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I was able to start it on saturday using the starter fluid. Also added a bottle of HEET to the fuel. Did have code P1491. Cleared the code and drove around a while and the CEL came on again after a while...Same code. Yesterday it wouldn't start....had to use the starter fluid again. Same thing today...it wouldn't start without using starter fluid. Once the engine warms up though, I can shut it off and restart it no problem. Seems like if it sits too long, then it wont start on it's own.

Anyone know if these symptoms are typical of P1491 code?? Or do I have multiple things going on here??

IanH

Postby IanH » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 pm

searched on Google, found this thread for your code on pathfinder...

unfortunately forum wont let me post link so I have stolen the contents......credit "towncivilian" at Nico forum

It could be something as simple as a clogged hose. Remove the hose and check.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36 ... 4vcvbv.png

Other potential causes:

Vacuum cut valve bypass valve
Vacuum cut valve
Bypass hoses for clogging
EVAP control system pressure sensor and circuit
EVAP canister vent control valve
Hose between fuel tank and vacuum cut valve clogged
Hose between vacuum cut valve and EVAP canister clogged
EVAP canister
EVAP purge port of fuel tank for clogging

If you ever "top off" the fuel tank after refueling, stop doing that as it allows excess fuel to enter the carbon canister and damages it. Stop at the first shut-off click.

zonian

Postby zonian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 am

Thanks Ian, saw that on-line already. I had already checked out the hoses; they appeared to be OK. Cleared the code again on Sunday and have driven the vehicle each day since....it hasn't come back on. Monday I SEAFOAMED the engine. Yesterday morning at (14F outside temp) it started right up....definitely appears to be idling smoother???? Gonna keep the car here at my house for the balance of the week and see how it goes each day.

Paul

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”