lets talk exhaust with previous vehicle vid

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

festerfm

lets talk exhaust with previous vehicle vid

Postby festerfm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:02 am

i am the new owner of an 02 pf with a proper stick shift. my first idea on exhaust was that since it's the same engine as the 350z, i would get the same exhaust sound. then after about 2 minutes of searching this site, i see that's not gonna happen. i just got rid of an isuzu rodeo that had a new exhaust done on it and as happy as i was at first, it got old quick. it was a 3.2L 1997 rodeo. after the factory y pipe, the rest was custom. the oem cat was removed and a test pipe style with an o2 sensor bung was put in place. after that was 2.5 inch back to a magnaflow that split to dual 2" outlets. at first it was nice, but eventually it got loud all the time and started to drone.

i dont want that in my new truck. i've been trying to sample dif exhausts on youtube but frankly there isnt much on there variety speaking. i know it's going to have to be custom. what size is the inlet/outlet of our factory mufflers? my goal is at idle, i dont want to hear it hardly at all. i just want a very low tone when i put my foot into it. i would like to think i have grown up a little bit from my last truck. here is a vid of the setup on my rodeo. i apologize for my talking in the beginning..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8kI_IkmslM

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:09 pm

got the exhaust done today.. pair of 1-3/4 ID to 2" OD adapters to attach the factory pipe before the muffler to a 2" inlet/outlet y-pipe to turn the 2 pipes into 1. then from the "y" we go to a 2" inlet/outlet flowtech afterburner chambered muffler 13" long. from there it's the stock tail pipe altho the resonator by the tail pipe is gone and just a straight pipe is there. no drone at all in the cabin area. and as for how it sounds outside, check out the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onuco1vgoKA

terry2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCT5FfwBl0

Postby terry2001 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:56 pm

i would like to change my cats .the factory ones may be bad by now with 140000 miles on them .i also would like to redo the exhaust .i would like to use these. sound when i want it and not when the popo is there.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCT5FfwBl0

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 pm

if u like the sound from the cutouts, then i'd go for it! you will still want to put a "y" on there to join the 2 pipes coming from each bank of the engine. then there may be enough room in there to put the cutout then a muffler. i've seen ones that operate with a cable u run into u'r car and mount, then i've seen the electric ones. one of the main problems is that sometimes the seal on them kicks the bucket and they will leak. but when they work right, they are pretty neat!

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:05 pm

also, the cats looked to me like a huge pain in the ass to get to. there are 2 resonators in the exhaust, 1 in each bank and if you look under the truck, they are over top of the the cross member that holds u'r transmission up. i contemplated taking out the resonators while i was under there today but since i didnt want it to be too loud, i left them there for now. however, if u were interested in changing them, u will need about 18 inches of 1-3/4" pipe for each side. looks pretty simple. straight shot and out in the open. might increase the flow a little bit

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

opening up the exhaust could help with gas mpg it sure would not hurt.

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:36 am

after i got the exhaust done that day, i drove about 1/2 mile and filled up at the pumps. that previous tank i had got 17.2 mpg. i was hoping to get the first tank with the exhaust done by just driving normal to see what the improvement was. looks like not the case. not only is it hard to drive nice and easy and normal right after the new muffler, but it just snowed about 5 inches here and i have to tow the quad around to plow. so, maybe i'll get a good reading on the next tank i fill up with

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 pm

at 3.95 a gallon any improvment is a good thing

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:40 pm

eeeeew, 3.69 here

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Almost $5.00 here in Costa Rica.
BTW, I'm going a different route on the exhaust. I'm doing a Magnaflow 2 in and two out SS muffler. I'll be sporting dual exhaust for less back pressure and redoing all the pipe in stainless. I'll post some photos when I'm done.

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:02 pm

will you have any problem with the engine light coming on ?with less back pressure will the o2 sensors read okay?

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:44 pm

no codes from the exhaust.. the cats are still there as are the o2 sensors. my light IS on tho it says the fuel level sensor circuit high voltage. only comes on when i fill my tank.. once i get down below 3/4, i shut it off and it stays off.

terry2001

Postby terry2001 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm

would like to see pics of your dual exhaust

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:16 am

I'll post them as soon as I get finished. First I have to rebuild the heads. I overheated the motor recently when a heater hose let go. Now I'm losing water and I suspect a head gasket.
The exhaust is a bit tricky. The exhaust pipes from the cats on back are 2" tubing. Tubing is measured on the OD, pipe is measured on the ID. Neither Magnaflow, Flowmaster nor Borla makes a 2 in 2 out SS muffler for 2" tubing. I want to stay with 2" size because I have 2" dies for my tubing bender and nothing larger is available for the model that I have. The plan is to buy a muffler for 2 1/2" tubing and weld on 4 reducers for 2" tubing. The reason I am going to the trouble is that I live at over a mile elevation and getting the motor to breathe as freely as possible is a big plus when you get behind a slow truck or bus going uphill and only have limited opportunities and space to pass. I don't anticipate any problems with the O2 sensors but, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”