Hesitation when it is cold in 2004

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

2537buzz

Hesitation when it is cold in 2004

Postby 2537buzz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi. I just bought a 2004 LE Platinum. Mint condition, clean car fax / one owner. 104.000 miles with new top line tires, exhaust system, breaks, rear shocks, and a few other maintenance items I cannot remember, plus the strut recall was taken care of. After getting it, we also had plugs changed, used platinum plugs, had transmission flushed and changed and a lube oil and filter. What I am now noticing is that when it is cold, and I first start out it seems to hesitate going into gear, but after about five minutes of driving it shifts smoothly into gear, no issues, car drives wonderfully other then this. Now if I start the car and let it warm up in neutral (not park) for about five minutes the. Take off, there is no issue with shifting, shifts smoothly. I have read, and some have said including the mechanic that did the trans flush have said that it is because the fluid has to heat up. Then another article I have read said it is the start of a transmission issue. This is our first Pathfinder, really first SUV and we bought it for our son who will be driving in April. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. The truck really is wonderful, I just do not know why it hesitates / slips in the cold when first starting out but then completely fine once warmed up. Thanks.

IanH

Postby IanH » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:44 am

I don't necessarily understand your issue, but i have same mileage, 105K, and just changed my transmission fluid for mileage plus Valvoline.

It shifts better, maybe its real or imagined I am not sure.

I can tell you that the converter lock and 4th overdrive do not engage when its cold. I find I have to get the temp gauge to normal plus a mile or two before it goes into overdrive lockup, at around 50 mph.

Other than that it shifts fine, but it does engage a bit harder in lower gears than it did before I changed the fluid.( Only half got changed as I didn't flush it.)

Hope this helps

2537buzz

Postby 2537buzz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Thank you. It does help. When I posted I was not aure of terminology bit what I am describing is what they call flaring, where the RPM's will increase as ot hesistates going into gear. It does it from 2nd to 3rd, but as you have said as soon as ot os real warm, usually driving for first ten.minutes it si fine then. Took it to a reputable trans place and was told not to worry, that although it may not be completely normal, it may be for this truck as others have had this issue. He said leave it alone, do what I have been doing by warming it up well and taking it easy until it is and it will probably be fine. He found nothing alarming. Thank you. Elaine.

IanH

Postby IanH » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:22 am

mine doesn’t do this.
What Transmission fluid did they use ?
Was this bulk ?
Who did the work.

Did it do this before the flush ?

So the change in my transmission is that the shift is harder, ie the opersite than your problem.

I would be a little concerned because it sound like its slipping, and prolonged use like this will prematurely wear the friction plates.

But taking it easy till its warm will help.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”