Aftermarket Stereo installation Please Help

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

brht27

Aftermarket Stereo installation Please Help

Postby brht27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I am trying to put in an aftermarket stereo into my Pathfinder, but running into a few issues:

Factory (Non Bose) Stereo has for plugs for the back. Aftermarket has two. Need to figure out how to convert that or what to use as a go between for the wires. Any suggestions?

Factory antenna has two prong wires. I got the adapter for that as aftermarket takes a one prong.

Saw this on crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142C4NN03/ ... ml?tp=3486, but it says its not compatible for my truck.

Never have I ran into such a pain in the butt wiring system then in this truck. I hate when vehicle designers entertain themselves by making things purposely difficult for no reason.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I think I addressed this in NissanForums.com. If you have the LE trim level, you should have a Bose audio system.

brht27

Postby brht27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:39 pm

With either the Bose or base system, you should still only have two white harness connectors for the audio system. Could you be looking at connectors for something else, ie the heater? The componant you linked to is for a Bose system adapter. Bose audio uses 1-ohm impedance speakers with amps for those speakers, unlike the 4-ohm impedance speakers used in most factory non-Bose as well as aftermarket systems. So, the adapter is needed to install an aftermarket audio head unit in place of the facory Bose unit. You will also need an adapter to be able to use the steering wheel mounted audio controls with an aftermarket head unit, which you can get through PAC audio or Crutchfield. Can you upload pics of the head unit, front and back, and the harness connectors?

brht27

Postby brht27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:26 pm

It has four. One of them is for the 6 disc factory changer, the other three are the speakers and steering controls. There is a forth plug for the antenna itself.

This one has five white input spots. but I only use four in mine. Plus separate for the antenna.

EDIT: I also figured out that crutchfield link was telling me it didn't fit cause I chose non bose in error.

Nissan needs to work on this, this is too much trouble for something that is simple in every other vehicle.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:37 pm

The two paired together on the left are the typical connectors used on most Nissan radios since the mid-90's. The smaller connector is typically the wires for the rear speakers and the larger for the front speaker, power input, illumination. Ground is through the chassis of the radio. Makes sense to have one for the 6-disc changer and one for the steering wheel audion controls. The two plug antennae is for the diversity antennae system (two antennaes, either a mast antennae with an antennae in the windshield or an antennae in the windshield and the other in a back or rear window). Nissan really doesn't have to work on it because it's not really their concern to be aftermarket friendly. Their concern is really what works for them, although, I agree that it would be nice if manufacturers and their engineers took that approach when designing their vehicles.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”