99 VG33E with 153K miles - DEAD - [UPDATE - Rebuilding!)

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Yikes! That picture gives me the creeps and flashbacks! :cry:

Teeter

Postby Teeter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:10 pm

moymurfs wrote:Yikes! That picture gives me the creeps and flashbacks! :cry:
Which one? The mostly assembled rig?

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Yea, That's the view I had for weeks/months or whatever the heck it was... :wink:

Teeter

Postby Teeter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 am

moymurfs wrote:Yea, That's the view I had for weeks/months or whatever the heck it was... :wink:
What's the status of your swap?

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm

mine??...oh it's been done for a while now. I did finally take it to a knowledgeable Nissan guy due to the missing under hard accelleration. It would start fine, idle fine, run fine and hold a steady speed smoothly but when I hit the accellerator hard it would miss as it was accellerating. Come to find out it was a bad TPS and when I set the timing the bad switch caused the timing to be off. He replaced the switch and reset the timing. Now it gets perfectly shitty gas mileage very smoothly !

Teeter

Postby Teeter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 pm

moymurfs wrote:mine??...oh it's been done for a while now. I did finally take it to a knowledgeable Nissan guy due to the missing under hard accelleration. It would start fine, idle fine, run fine and hold a steady speed smoothly but when I hit the accellerator hard it would miss as it was accellerating. Come to find out it was a bad TPS and when I set the timing the bad switch caused the timing to be off. He replaced the switch and reset the timing. Now it gets perfectly shitty gas mileage very smoothly !
Good deal! Do you have a thread on this forum for the swap?

I'm a bit concerned about timing but theoretically I did everything right. We'll know soon.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Good deal! Do you have a thread on this forum for the swap?

I'm a bit concerned about timing but theoretically I did everything right. We'll know soon

Well, here is where my stuff started:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I will say this...one of the biggest pains was the flywheel sensor. Its a plastic connector that sits on the top of the transmission and a wire comes from the back of the motor....if you got it connected before adding all the motor components that would block your access you have a major hurdle behind you!

Septimius

Postby Septimius » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:47 am

just wanted to say thanks for the great thread, I'm looking into buying an R50 pathy and am following your progress eagerly!

Teeter

Postby Teeter » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:18 am

I fired it up today!!

The good: It runs like a sewing machine at idle

The bad: There's some sort of knock at higher rpm's. There's a slight coolant leak and a slight oil leak. Must find both. Obviously the greatest concern is the knock. It also cranks slow at start up.. Odd

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”