2002 Code P0430

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

willy0505

2002 Code P0430

Postby willy0505 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 am

Hey all - I am new to this forum - I am also on another Nissan Forum, but it has all makes / models vs. this forum has Path only, which hopefully has a more defined knowledge base of Pathfinders only - in any case, this is my first post on this board (although I am no expert, so I dont know how much value I am going to be able to add!).

I posted the below and got a decent answer, but thought I would check on this forum for something more specific. I have done a search and seen a few topics on catalytic converters, but hopefully can consolidate here.

My check engine light came on a few weeks ago, so I took it to Autozone and got the P0430 code. Its description says:

Catalyst system efficiency below threshold - bank 2

Probable causes:
1. Large vacuum leak
2. Fuel system fault
3. Ignition system fault
4. Failed bank 2 catalytic converter

My questions are - what the heck does #1 even mean & is #2 really even worth trying (i.e. do I just inject fuel system cleaner to try that)?

As for #3 - I did replace my starter about 45 days ago and the light came on about 25 days ago although I dont think these are related

So I guess that brings me to the real question - is my problem most likely #4 and it needs to be replaced & if so, is this something that I can do myself (I can do enough to be dangerous - -i.e. change starter, alternator, change the oil, etc.) - I cannot really find good instructions anywhere, but maybe that is because it is so simple.

If anyone has thoughts on the solution (most common solution for this code) and any instructions on how to correct - I am really good at following directions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

W

willy0505

Postby willy0505 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:56 am

Also - Should have said thanks to smj999smj for answering pretty detailed on the other forum - great answer - just checking to see if consensus is catalytic converter change and if there is something I need to check for to see what is causing this issue in the first place other than just age - a 2002 with 169K miles

kILLcORPORATE

p0430

Postby kILLcORPORATE » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Hello. I recently had the same codes coming up with my 05 Frontier 4.0L. This was caused by the catalytic convertors being completely plugged with sediment. There are likely 4 places that you will need to look at. Left and right, a forward set and a 2nd set just after. In my case, I only looked @ the first set, overlooked the 2nd set and cost myself a couple months of headache figuring out why it ran like a jalopy. The easiest way to discern whether your cats are plugged is to start it up, let it run idle for a 1-5minute, then go under and feel how hot/cool the cylinders are. If they are plugged, they will be extremely hot (be careful). We have no rules on cats where I am, so I proceeded to remove them, bust out all the crap inside (will likely be messy, wear PPE) and then reinstall.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”