CV axle replacement 98 Pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

JonDory

CV axle replacement 98 Pathfinder

Postby JonDory » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I removed the CV axle assembly from the passenger side. The mounting flange ring (that has the bolt pattern) was fairly dirty. scraped it off, almost like a gasket. Anyway, the driver side flange was pristine clean, should I be concerned about the state of the passenger side flange. Additionally, the flange is connected to a "pony shaft" that extends from the front differential. this flange is connected by 4 bolts and is leaking slightly. Is it difficult to remove this flange? Is there a gasket in there that can be replaced? Looked at a few on line manuals... no details...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 am

Well, first of all, 98 Pathy posts should be posted in the R50 section. R52's are 2013 Pathfinders. The oil seal in the right axle tube is probably bad causing the leak. There is a grease seal at the end of the axle tube that will likely need to be replaced, too, but the oil seal is further in, closer to the differential. I could be wrong, but if my memory serves correct, the oil seal is installed from the diff side of the axle tube and a real pain! I believe the differential has to be pulled out. Hopefully, someone who has done one more recently can give you more info, or correct me if I'm mistaken.

JonDory

Postby JonDory » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am

oops... sorry for the breach in protocal. new to this site. there are 4 screws holding this mount in question in place. not sure what is behind these bolts and a bit concerned about removing these without understanding what I'm getting into.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”