problem while fueling

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

festerfm

problem while fueling

Postby festerfm » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 pm

just what it says, i try to fuel up my 02 and at first, the fuel will be fine at full squeeze, then after about 5 secs, the fuel spits out of the filler neck and the gun shuts off. it literally take me anymore about 15 minutes to put 15 gallons in the tank. i need to barely squeeze the trigger so the gun doesnt shut off. i'm not 100% sure how the guns work but i think they shut off when the neck starts getting full so why all of a sudden is something not venting or what would i even check?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Check you vent control valve on your charcoal canister under the left, rear corner of your truck. If it is stuck shut or the tube/filter assy. attached to it is blocked or clogged, it will result in your scenario.

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:35 am

first off I want to apologize now if any of my spelling or words seem different since I am using the voice text feature on my phone. I do recall the box you're talking about because I had to drop it down a little bit when I put the tow hitch on.is there any specific hoes on that box I should be looking at or is it possible to just do away with the whole thing altogether?I know its something you can't see it unless you are underneath the truck howeverif it is something I can get rid of and not have to worry about it going bad then I would definitely be interested.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:58 pm

You don't want to get rid of it. For starters, the system is self-checked and monitored by the ECM for leaks and operation and getting rid of it will cause varies check engine codes to set for the evaporative emissions system. The tank is used to store fuel tank vapors until a later time when they can be introduced to the intake manifold and burned via combustion. The vent control valve is on the back of the canister; it is normally "open," meaning you should be able to remove it and breath through it. If you can, the valve is shut and should be replaced; Nissan has an updated version of the valve available which is much better than the original. If loose charcoal comes out of the canister, you need to replace the canister and blow clear the system. There is only one hose that connects to the vent control valve and it leads to a filter. Spiders can build nests in them and restrict the airflow and cause problems; they can be easily blown out with compressed air.

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:07 am

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 am

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”