Engine rod knock

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Sleep_er

Engine rod knock

Postby Sleep_er » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello all. I recently got a free 03 pathfinder from my neighbor due to rod knock. His daughter didn't change the oil for a few months and the end product is a beautiful rod knock lol. I'm from Hawaii and I've been searching for an engine that's ready to swap in but have had no luck.

The first engine I looked at, came from an 01 pathfinder (same engine 3.5 liter). The shop told me it would be a straight drop in. Well I learned the hard way they have different heads through different years. I specifically need an 03+ engine as the head and sensors are different on older years.

Recently I've been debating if its worth rebuilding the original engine as it has 91k. I took apart the engine and the bearing had spun so bad that it was torn to pieces. My other option would be to buy a used engine from a salvage yard that's from a 2000+ and use the block as it is the same and just resurface the original head and change gaskets and the whole 9 yards. What would be the wiser choice? Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

slopoke

Postby slopoke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Rebuild it. Have a reputable machine shop go through it, the whole long block. Most likely you will need a crank kit if the journal with the spun bearing is heavily damaged. Should be much cheaper than a replacement engine. I recently had an SR20 motor, with a similar problem; rebuilt for around $900. best of luck

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”