Weird coolant leak

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

arimichael

Weird coolant leak

Postby arimichael » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 am

Like many people, I'm the guy who only lurks and doesn't post until something goes to crap. :?

My '01 VQ35 has developed a strange coolant leak. It's fairly heavy, but mostly only when running. It seems to be coming from low on the passenger side of motor and I swear it looks like it's coming from the block/ bellhousing seam. I've done due diligence and searched for stuff on this before posting. I've seen mentions of a rear crossover leak, but that's described as a leak that starts high and runs down the motor. Mine looks like its origin is much lower.

And in case anyone's wondering, it's got 202K (!) and never given me a lick of trouble in the 6 years/140K that I've owned it other than a MAF (Maxima MAF FTW!!) and a very very slightly high oil consumption. (The valve cover/ PCV will be done in an attempt to rectify this situation should I have to pull intakes etc. to fix this coolant leak.)

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:28 pm

There are two possible sources of the leak. Either one will result in a leak that will drip onto the bellhousing motor junction. One is barely visible on the passenger side between the motor and firewall. It's a formed 90 degree 1/2" hose. The other is a straight 1/2" hose which is inboard of that one. It can barely be seen and certainly can't be changed without removing the intake plenum. I'm certain that one of those two is your culprit and I highly recommend changing both of them. It's nothing that you want to do on the side of the road. If you decide to remove the plenum then there are also several hoses underneath that should be changed while you have easy access. One in particular is a formed hose that sort of looks like a question mark although it can be changed with a considerable degree of difficulty by removing the distributor for access.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:52 pm

"One in particular is a formed hose that sort of looks like a question mark although it can be changed with a considerable degree of difficulty by removing the distributor for access."

I think you're talking about the VG33E engine. The poster has a VQ35DE engine, which does not have a distributor.

As far as the leak, you'll need to get a mirror behind the engine and confirm the location of the leak. There is an aluminum water crossover behind the engine that bolts to the back of the heads (refer part code "11062" in the part diagram link below); I have seen leaks develop at the gaskets as well as the coolant switch. There are also a few hoses back there.

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... nlPartList

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:47 am

You're right of course. I was describing the 3.3. I just went through the leaking hose thing and the dripping was onto the bellhousing.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”