04' Pathfinder - question on my purchase

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

cxrob

04' Pathfinder - question on my purchase

Postby cxrob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi,

Out shopping for a new SUV today and came across a clean 04' Pathfinder with 75K miles that was traded in at a Toyota dealer.

Dealer wanted $9,999 and I put a deposit on an agreed price of $9K... came home and I see the Retail is more like $8K,

They (Toyota) will have the Pathfinder go through their shop and checked out. We agreed I can take the car then to my mechanic before we close the deal. I am wondering now if I should just take it to a Nissan service center and let them check the car (I would think Nissan can ID all known issues).

Anyway... my real question is what known issues should I be aware of on an 04' Pathfinder? I am paying more then I should (may try to get them down another $500) but if this car is as realiable as everyone tells me it is... over time i should safe $$. Previous Jeeps I had milked me dry with repair bills.

slopoke

Postby slopoke » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

sounds like it's a good find. have any good mechanic inspect it for sure. Preferably a Nissan enthusiast/mechanic. I just bought an 04 SE 4x4 last month with 90k on it. so far so good. mine had lots of little issues like trim pieces missing and electrical issues and minor water leaks also needed lots of maintenance stuff too. Im actually a mechanic though, so those kinds of things were not an issue to solve. I f i were not a tech though id have spent close to $1500-2000 fixing all that stuff instead of $200-300. Overall mine is solid and that's what counts. The only common issue i can think of is with the power seats with automatic driver position on the LE models. the seats get stuck. but that's about it. you could search for TSB's if you like

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 am

Being the last year of a model run is a good thing, as almost all of the bugs have been worked out by then. There is a recall for corrosion issues on the strut towers, so make sure that is performed if not already. Rear suspension link bushings are common failures on the R51. I would try to work the price down a little lower

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”