knock sensor replacement for 1999 SE

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Damigotit

knock sensor replacement for 1999 SE

Postby Damigotit » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:50 pm

knock sensor. Has anyone had to replace this sensor. If so please enlighten me. I need to replace this on my 1999 SE. Thanks in advance for help.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm

For starters, you should have posted in the R50 section and not the R52 section. That said, the knock sensor is located under the intake manifold, so the correct method would be to remove the upper intake plenum and intake manifold to replace the sensor. That said, many have gone with the relocation method, where they have installed the knock sensor on the top side of the intake manifold where it's more serviceable. I believe they are using a knock sensor and subharness from a 95 Maxima (if I'm not mistaken) and they cut the wires in the main harness going to the original sensor, then splice the wires to the new harness. There are articles that explain the procedure; you might even find one in the R50 section. Or you can Google-search it. Might even be a vid on YouTube showing the procedure.

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 pm

You definitely want to relocate it. I have the motor out and it's STILL a PIA. I just could get the connector off so now I won't have to do any splicing. I'm leaving that sensor where it sits. After cutting the wire anchor there's plenty of slack to reach the top of the intake and the new sensor.

Here ya go:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... relocation

linewar

Postby linewar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:00 am

Yeah that install took all of about 1.5 hours, and that was going super-slow because I'm not familiar with electrical work. An added bonus is that, if it goes out again, it's very easy to replace the sensor at that location!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”