Timing belt install question.Is this bad?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

96SE4x4

Timing belt install question.Is this bad?

Postby 96SE4x4 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 am

The other day I removed everything to install timing belt and water pump etc.I had to leave it sit for a couple days because of work.I went out to work on it today,and noticed that the pass. side camshaft gear has moved.Can I turn it to realign it with the punchmark with the timing belt already off.

Another question.The same camshaft gear was not lined up exactly with the punch mark when I put the #1 piston to tdc.The left camshaft gear and crankshaft both were though.Should I align it?

Thanks for the help.This is my first attempt at installing a new timing belt.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Just turn the passenger side cam sprocket slowly back into position. On the VG engines, the timing marks on the rear timing cover never match up exactly to where the marks are on the cam gears. You don't really need the marks on the cover because the new timing belt will have lines on it to match up with the cam and crank sprocket marks. There should be an arrow on the timing belt which you point to the front of the vehicle. There should also be one dotted line on the belt, which will match up with the timing mark on the passenger side cam sprocket....and two solid lines that will match up with the driver's side cam sprocket and crank sprocket.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”