Front brake rotor removal

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Bmatthews352

Front brake rotor removal

Postby Bmatthews352 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Im currently working on a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE. One of the front brake rotors in warped so i need to replace it. I discovered that in order to remove the brake rotors I will have to disassemble the whole wheel bearing assembly just to get the rotor off.

I have been told that if I open the wheel bearing it is 100% necessary to clean and repack the bearings. Is this true? and if so does anyone know if the bearings have to be pressed out and back in?

Also a written procedure for the removal and reassembly of the wheel bearing would be very helpful

Thank you for taking the time to read my post =)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:57 pm

I wouldn't say the "have" to be cleaned and repacked with grease, but it's a good idea to do it while it is out. The bearings are old type, tapered roller bearings; they are not pressed. If you are going to clean and grease the bearings, then you will also want to get new grease seals, as they will need to be removed. Autozone.com has free repair guides available at their website if you register that might have the info you are looking for.

Bmatthews352

Postby Bmatthews352 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Thank you for the info =)

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”