02 with front suspension issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

festerfm

02 with front suspension issue

Postby festerfm » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:11 pm

my 02 has had a clunk in the front suspension since the day i bought it this year. i bought a pair of mounts for it since i heard they can go bad. i took the struts out, and put the new strut mounts on the struts exactly how they came off. it was ok for maybe a week and the clunk was back. i checked again and found that on the drivers side with the hood open and truck on the ground, i could grab the spring wiggle it and watch the strut rod wiggle under the hood. is there some kind of bushings or something that go in that stop it from wiggling?? i have about 3/4" of movement so i know that my mounts need to be replaced again. does anyone know where the bushings, if any, need to go an or what the problem could be?

97Pathfunder

Postby 97Pathfunder » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 pm

do you get a wobble in the steering wheel when making curves on the highway?

my 97 is doing the same thing but nothing is loose or wiggling. Its driving me nuts and im getting worried coming into the winter here in chicago. im tearing into it this weekend ill let ou know what i find

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:36 am

no. Mine is just a nasty clunk that is metal on metal and I have narrowed it down to the strut bolt on top of not being tight enough. I will post the video when I get out of work today about exactly what it is doing. Basically since the bolt won't tighten anymore or the bolt was not fight to start with it is wobbling up and down and the threads are acting like keith on a saw to the strut mount. I just ordered a new struts and new strut mount and when I get access to a strut spring compressor I will put all the new stuff together and hopefully that will cure my problem. If you are having a wobble when you go around corners I know it soundsrather simplistic but first thing is to check the lugs and make sure they are all Tight. also check for your wheel bearing to be loose. Jack up one tire at a time about 1 inch off the ground and put one hand on the top of the tire and one hand on the bottom of the tire and see if there's any movement by shaking the tire. There should be 0 play. If there is you might just need to tighten your wheel bearing a little bit which is pretty simple and free! and for the record I am on my phone right now using my voice text so if something looks like it isn't spelled right or makes zero sense whatsoever just try sounding it out and it should make better sense because my voice text essentially hates me and we'll try to make me look stupid every chance he gets.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”