1996 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 automatic

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

daddyblaize

1996 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 automatic

Postby daddyblaize » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Just got towed off the highway last night(OOF) when my wife called and said while driving at highway speed the engine just stalled. Soon's it was dropped off I checked distributor rotor and cap(which were fairly new) and found no damage. With one ear to the gas tank and my son at the ignition key I heard a healthy fuel-pump whirring through my fuel-fill cap. IGN fuses seemed intact. Scratching my head, any common issues that this points to?

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:17 am

That's pretty general info.
Since something similar happened to me I will guess that your problem lies under the distributor cap.
It's just a guess. There are several other things it could be but, it sounds ignition related. A diagnostics check would be the best way to proceed.

daddyblaize

1996 Path Problem

Postby daddyblaize » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Hey thanks for posting that reply, I was happy you looked... well you know I bought an OBDII scanner from Actron some years back and have used it to diagnose problems with my 2003 Ford Windstar as well as a '96 Dodge Intrepid I previously owned. When I attempted to scan the Path I found the connector was different and had only 12 pins where the scanner had 16. Now I'm being informed that I could possess a late model 1995 equipped with OBDI but none have been able to either deny or confirm. Wondering if anybody out there has had a similar confusion?

ejlesher

Scanner isssue

Postby ejlesher » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 am

On my '96, there is both a OBDI and II connection point. Found this out while at the Autozone trying to run a few issues down. I don't know the reason for it having 2 ports, but I did find out that my pathy had some old codes still stored. The problems were apparently fixed, but never cleared the codes. I would recommend going to autozone or another place that rents tools/equipment and see if they can assist.

daddyblaize

1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)

Postby daddyblaize » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:23 am

Hey my friend that's awesome advice an great suggestion. Now that I know to look for two different OBD connectors I can probably find the OBDII connector. I proactively ordered for a couple of bucks from Amazon, an adapter cord that should implement an OBDI styled connector just in case. I'll definitely post my success with that or lack thereof once it arrives. Thanks again and any more info you can just keep it coming folks :)

daddyblaize

Scanner issues

Postby daddyblaize » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am

Hey folks here's a link to the Amazon page where I ordered that connector:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... SX300_.jpg[/img]

ejlesher

You're welcome and now I have a suspension question

Postby ejlesher » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:16 pm

First off you're welcome and hope it helped...let me know as I am always curious as to the 'rest of the story'.

Now for my suspension question:

I have been working steadily toward making my pathy as road worthy as possible because I would like to go on travels with versus to being restricted to my local area. I am about to pull the trigger on buying some struts and bushings to replace the stockers...they are shot (256,000 miles). My pathy has the electronic adjustable suspension, but I am really limited on funds for my toy project. So here are my options:
Monroe OE Spectrum
KYB GR-2
SENSEN
ULTIMA

Also should I replace the springs? I really have no clue on weather or not to do so...most say that they should be good still, but I have read a lot that pathy's wear out....thoughts....

and no I am not looking to lift it at this time...depends on the future...if I do a complete overhaul on the engine and drivetrain, I will lift it then, but more than likely I will have moved on to a different toy at that point...unknown as I am really enjoying this pathy despite its decrepit state currently.

daddyblaize

Postby daddyblaize » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:36 pm

hey did I tell you thing started right up yesterday afternoon(after spending 2 hours on mass transit running errands :x ) . I was connecting to the second(OBDII) connector I found under the dashboard--thanks again friend...and had a thought while preparing the Actron scanner to read the codes to just try starting it. It started right up....right up.....no codes...no hesitation. Ok but here's what happened today...sent my wife to the store with it and took it out for some errands after that and I found a clue. The stumble-then-stall returned. Then a code was thrown and it was a "P0156" meaning O2 circuit malfunction(cyl. bank # 2/sens. # 2) I started to buy a new sensor when my AutoBarn buddy told me don't even waste my money. He says that were it the front O2 sensor malfunctioning he'd replace it but the rear sensors shouldn't be enough to affect drivability to the point of stalling. He said worry about perhaps a clogged catalytic converter which would affect performance and cause the O2 sensor to be off as well. About your suspension, recommend getting the best quality bits and not skimping on anything. KYBs are tried and true. Hey you know even if the shocks are aren't dead, some aftermarket components may sell as a complete kit replacing all existing parts. So you sacrifice and save for it. Just my opinion. Just so you know, I've been rebuilding a '99 Isuzu Rodeo for 6 years with Performance clutch, posi-rear, and worked turbocharged engine. Not one of its Goodyear tires will touch the pavement until it's fully done.

ejlesher

Stalling problem...

Postby ejlesher » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:15 am

Was just checking to see if you got the stalling problem resolved?

For my suspension, I ended up going with the Gabriel set up all the way around. A buddy of mine has an '07 and did this and has been really happy with them and no issues for the past +25k...which is the range I am looking for to get out of it...I will post what I think when I get my pathy back from the shop (separate issue that required more skill and time than I have).

I have decided that past that point I am either investing in an additional toy or going for a complete overhaul of the pathy to include a small lift with the OE adjustable suspension (big investment for those struts and shocks alone).

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:09 am

I'm doing the suspension as we speak on my 98. I went with the 2" lift kit from 4x4 Specialties in Pompano Beach. I noticed the car was bottoming out occasionally when carrying passengers and gear. I went with Ranchos all around though Bilsteins or KYBs would work well too. I'm also refitting the control arms with new polyurthane bushings.
This car is my daily driver so, the work gets done in spurts.
It might seem like a lot of trouble and expense for a car this old but, here in Costa Rica you are taxed every year based on car value. A new Pathfinder would cost about 3,000 dollars a year. The 98 Pathfinder costs about 200.00 a year. It pays to keep an older car and to maintain it.
After I finish the suspension I will be starting on my long delayed rebuild of the exhaust system with a custom dual exhaust in stainless steel.
All the parts are bought and lined up.
Currently I'm back in Florida to spend the holidays with the parents but, after the New Year it's back to work.

daddyblaize

Postby daddyblaize » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:20 pm

You know what I haven't resolved the stalling issue more than simply prevent it from stalling by backing off the throttle when I feel it bog. For now that is all until it ultimately leaves me cussing and kicking myself on the side of the road...lol. I spoke to my bro who gave it to me and he admitted that there was no real tune-up before he gave it to me, so I'll go through it after the holidays. Just need to carry Santa from and to the North Pole without breaking down and we're home free. I actually need to do a fuel pressure test and some other test procedures but I'm stuck with a school project(yes I've reverted to carrying my Incredible Hulk bookbag with matching lunchbox and thermos again) When that's done I'll probably purchase and install my first MSD box and Blaster Coil and matching ignition wires because I truly think its an ignition problem. Was thinking of a Crank Trigger system also but we'll see bout that....Hey anyone out there implement one of these on there VG33E yet? I'm curious about your success.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”