O/D light not working

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

eroth88

O/D light not working

Postby eroth88 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I have a 1998 Pathfinder XE (auto). The problem I am having is the o/d button on the transmission, when pressed, the light doesnt go on or off as if it is burnt out maybe? However, when the car is started it turns on blinks a few times and shuts off as normal so I know its not burnt out. Any ideas?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:53 am

Does it actually work when it's pressed? It may just be a bad switch and you will have to order another. If it works I wouldn't worry, but if it's not stopping the transmission from shifting into overdrive, I would get it replaced. Especially if you are planning on doing any towing.

eroth88

Postby eroth88 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:39 am

how would i actually know if it is working or not?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:20 am

eroth88 wrote:how would i actually know if it is working or not?
The next time you are out for a drive get up to 55 and let the RPM's settle down. Then press the button. Your RPM's *should* rise when you press the button indicating that you are no longer in OD but in D. The change is typically a few hundred RPM so it should be easily noticed if you are somewhere that you can maintain speed. You might get the reverse, a drop in RPM's, by pressing the button but usually electronic setups reset when the vehicle is turned off. Either way there should be a change in your rpm's by a good 3-5 hundred rpm up or down when pressing the button.

If you don't notice any change make a note of your RPM's when you are steady holding 55. Then compare that with the specifications on your model year of gear ratios, axle ratios and tire size and you can figure out what gear you are in. There are plenty of calculators out there on the web that will do this for you.

And to correctly get your RPM's or feel the change from OD to D you need to not be driving up a hill, or accelerating, etc. Just steady smooth driving on as flat a road as possible with as little throttle as possible at 55mph will be the ideal conditions.

eroth88

Postby eroth88 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:43 pm

I did what those instructions were numerous times with no change whatsoever in RPM's. Switch is broken ?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Probably. You should be able to remove it and use a multi-meter and test it in the open and closed position. It will probably read infinite ohms either way.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:27 am

I've been searching for the part and can't find it. Maybe if you contact someone at the dealer, they might be able to give you a part number. Just trying to help you on the next step without any luck. You might try the junk yards in your area also.

eroth88

Postby eroth88 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am

there might be somthing else influencing this. my service engine soon light is one and the faults are knock sensor and evap system. basically i had it looked at and its the charcoal filter from the gas tank and its over a thousand to replace, but they said it doesnt affect mpg's or anything really. what do you think?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:42 pm

I think you should get the FSM and start troubleshooting the codes thrown by the ECM. Many times the codes point to a specific problem but then when you read the troubleshooting steps in the FSM it could actually be a number of sub-components within that system. Especially with Evap/Emissions related codes. It could very well be the charcoal canister is the culprit but there could just as easily be a kinked or cracked vacuum line leading to the canister. If you peer through the FSM you'll see what I mean.

And I doubt those codes have anything to do with OD not working but you never know.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”