Shifting out of 4x4

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

amr40509

Shifting out of 4x4

Postby amr40509 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:58 am

I've used 4wd several times to pull the boat out of the water, and noticed that it seems to get stuck in 4wd.

If I just normally shift into 4wd (high or low) with in 'N', put it in gear and drive a few feet, put it in 'N' and shift out.. the indicator lights will flash for a sec and then go to rear wheel drive indicated.

If I pull the boat out (high or low, doesnt matter) then pull up the ramp, put it in 'N' and shift out, it will keep flashing. I have waited several min w/ no luck. If I back up 20 feet or so it will shift out.

This isn't a big deal, but does that type of thing happen to anyone else?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:48 pm

The "shift to N" is only required for 4lo.

Between 4hi and 2wd you can shift while moving up to 60mph, so I suspect it's the fact that you are stationary that is not allowing it to unlock. When it does that (keep blinking), just try rolling forward and I bet it'll finish the switch over to 2wd.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:54 am

I think I drove forward for 50+ feet w/ it still flashing, but I could have dreamed that up. I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3 day camping/boating trip so I'll play w/ it some. The ramp I'll be using is paved, but it's not the lake's main ramp and often has sand/mud/dirt on it, so I'll need to pull the boat up in 4wd.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:11 am

Hm...my only other thought would be that with the trailer and boat pulling on the Path, the gears in the trasfercase are still under strain so they refuse to disengage. Maybe put on the e-brake, let of the brake peddle, then shift into neutral so the transmission is totally unloaded and try flipping it to 2wd. Weird... Good luck this weekend, let us know how it goes!

Chatham

Postby Chatham » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:41 am

I notice this was happening with my Path also. One of the big reasons we bought ours is because we live in Buffalo, NY (lots 'o' snow). Well, last winter I needed to put it in 4wd mode many times, and usually when I switched out, it would take a while for it to disengage. Some occurances would take longer than others (i.e.- I was doing some freeway driving when I switched it off and it took up to a couple of miles while cruising for it to disengage). I was also trying not to do too much accelerating during these moments too, hoping that would help. Nope! Anyway, I can't seem to find the rhyme or reason as to why it will disengage faster in some situations over others. I'm just glad it engages the moment I ask it to!

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:38 am

Yesterday I pull up the ramp, when I got past the part muddy/sandy part I switched to 2wd. By the time I got to the parking spot (about 500 feet) it was in 2wd.

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:30 am

IT REALLY HELPS TO GET ON AND OFF THE ACCELERATOR TO SHAKE IT OUT AND ALSO TO KEEP THE STEERING WHEEL STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE TO REDUCE DRIVE LINE BINDING

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:22 am

Just had this happen to me yesterday a couple times. Very steep dirt incline leeding directly to a flat pavement road. Coming off of the slope I'd stop and shift to neutral, and then switching from 4lo over to 2wd I would hear the clunk and wirr of the transfer case motor, but then it would just keep blinking on the dash. At the time I was switching it the vehicle was still slightly sloped and turning slightly, so I think the driveline was just binding a bit. I waited an extra 5 seconds or so and then slowly proceeded and within 10-20 feet the blinking on the dash stopped.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:29 pm

I think I have it pretty much figured out on mine. Basically it will keep flashing until it gets pushed out of 4WD by going through a tight turn.

So for example: Stopped on level ground, shift to 4High, locks in w/in less then 1 sec. -- use 4wd. Now shift out, it will keep flashing, and feels like it is still in 4wd when under power, then will only go back to 2wd when I make a turn.

Does everyone else's act like this too, or is mine out of adjustment in some way?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”