Rust on hitch mount

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Chatham

Rust on hitch mount

Postby Chatham » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:25 am

I noticed over the weekend that I'm starting to show some rust on my hitch mount. It's a very small amount, and most people would probably think I'm crazy for even bringing this up, but I've seen how bad some hitch mounts can get on such young trucks. I've definitely taken notice of this in years past on other SUV's. It often appears to be the first thing to "get ugly" on an SUV as it gets older. Well, since my Pathfinder is an 05', it's probably one of the oldest here. I definitely didn't expect to see this already, but since I'm noticing little tiney hints of it, I'd like to do something about it before it gets bad. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I just spray a thicker coat of paint over it to protect it? Help!

Kyson

Postby Kyson » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:31 pm

I noticed the same thing on our last two Tahoes. I just cleaned the spots up with some pink naval jelly, and then touched up the areas with semi gloss (closest match I could find out of a spray can to the enamel look of the hitch) black spray paint. I cut a a slit out of some paper that approximated the area to be touched up and sprayed just that area.

Later, after (after the newness wore off) and several trips off road and constant use of the hitch, I gave up on the precision of the spray paint and just touched up the scratched areas everytime I noticed them while they were "in the white" and bare.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:31 am

I keep my draw bar wrapped in one layer of black tape, this makes it fit more firmly into the reciever (really have to push it in, but there is no play in it once it is in) and not scratch the inside of the hitch as badly. I still do get some scratches that will appear rusty though. I just spray a tap of black spray paint inside to cover the exposed metal.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:35 am

Where is the rust exactly? If it's anywhere else than where the reciever gets chewed up by the tow bar I would think that you would have a valid warranty repair claim for Nissan, no?

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:10 pm

where you would insert your hitch in. the inner square, if you could picture that.
It might be the wear that tear from inserting it back and forth also.
I've noticed it also. I was going to just touch it up with some paint.
I use a Thule bicycle hitch.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:15 am

All hitches will rush a little here, they are normal steel and you are scratching off the protective paint though metal on metal contact everytime you insert/remove the draw bar (or bike rack in your case). Just take a dry rag and wipe out the dirt in there, then hit it w/ a little shot of black paint.

Chatham

Postby Chatham » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 am

I currently don't use my hitch, so it's not from things going into the reciever. My rust is on the outside of the reciever (near some of the weld joints and such).

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”