Would anyone be interested in a front mount Hitch?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Would anyone be interested in a front mount Hitch?

Postby blink32 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm specifically working on one to use a cargo tray on for the front of my 06 for the storage but I was wondering if anyone else is interested in anything like this. I couldn't find any commercially available direct fit options so I started templating out my own. Just picked up some steel to build a press brake die so I can make repeated 90deg bends for the brackets.

Anyways, I'm modeling the material gauge and overall design from a class 4 and a 2 I've got here for another vehicle with the goal of the hitch being able to support 500lb's but to be used for 300 lbs personal limit but more likely it will be far less, sub 200lbs. I haven't decided if I want to go with 1/2" or 3/8" bracketry and tubing yet, guess I'll wait to see how the 20 ton press struggles with the 1/2" plate. It will mount to the stock location in the frame where the grill gaurd/tow hook goes. I'm only going to install a 1 1/4" reciever as that is what I require for my extra tray. But it could easily be replaced by a 2" tube and extra tubes could be added for more load capacity. There will also be D rings towards the outsides of the hitch to apply tensioner chains to remove the tray wobble.

Lets see if I can kill this thread before it even begins just by posting it.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Sounds like an awesome project, post pics and keep us posted on the progress!

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 am

It sounds like a great idea. I just don't have the need for the extra capacity right now. One thing you might want to add after it's done, is bumper locator poles. This way you don't forget it's there after the trip to the shore. That's what I figure you will be using it for Blink.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”