Problem with 4-pin trailer wiring harness

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

rlh2005

Problem with 4-pin trailer wiring harness

Postby rlh2005 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Short story: No running/markers lights on trailer. Turn and brake signals work.

I purchased a 5x8 utility trailer yesterday. Other than needing to downgrade to a 1-7/8" ball, I thought my Pathy was all set. From a towing perspective, I have a stock 2006 with the factory 4-wire harness. I do not have the 6-pin relay that goes in the engine compartment fuse box.

The salesman/manager did the customary light check after hooking up the trailer. I did not have any running/marker lights on the trailer. I did have turn signals and brake lights. We switched trailers to check that it wasn't a trailer wiring issue and the problem persisted. At that point, the manager doubted it was a trailer issue and I said that's fine and would have it check. Thankful, it was still daylight so running lights weren't important.

Tonight, I tested the 4-wire plug with my trusty multimeter. As expected, I had voltage on the left stop/turn pin (yellow wire) with the left turn signal on. I did NOT have any voltage on the running light pin (brown wire) with the headlights on.

The plug has been capped except when in use and there is no signs of rust/oxidation on the contacts. Other than checking for the relay, I have not scrutinized the fuse panels.

Is there something obvious I should be checking for? Do I need the "big towing" relay for the running lights pin to be powered on the 4-wire harness?

Thanks for the assistance.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:25 pm

You shouldn't need the relay to have the 4 pin harness work. The relay gives you the larger gauge power feed for brakes and extra power requirements on larger trailers.

If the 4 pin isn't working trace it a bit further back. When I upgraded to the 7 pin it turned out to be a lot easier to drop the spare tire and you can get to the other parts of the harness. Test it at the other connector, it might turn out to be a bad connection somewhere. When your done and put it back together I highly suggest putting a bit of Dielectric grease in the connectors. I make it a habit to coat any electrical connector I undo for any reason. Helps prevent corrosion and keep out moisture.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:32 pm

I tow a jetski trailer and, now that you mention it, my side running lights also have never worked, but I have full brake/turn signals. I guess I was ecstatic that my used trailer just had the basics working, so I didn't even investigate the running lights. When I get some time I'll try to put a voltmeter on the Pathy and see if there's any output. Sounds like it might not just be you though.

Blink, good idea with the dielectric grease, where would you suggest I look for it?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:40 pm

Pepboys, Autozone, etc will usually carry the clear type in the same section as the adhesives and gasket makers. I use the clear version in connectors that I pop off rarely or that are very well sealed like the weather pack type connectors.

I also like to a marine version grease that is amber in color in connectors that are used more often like the trailer harness plugs and any adapters I plug into it and headlight type connections. Thicker than the clear, seems to stick better and any time I've found OEM die-electric grease it was always this dark version. That can be picked up at Boat stores and I think the brand is Wurth.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:52 am

Check your fuses and relays. I lost a fuse (under the hood) when I had a similar problem and I beleive there was a bullitin on the wiring for towing.
check www.nissanhelp.com they have great resource for checking bullitins and recalls.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:24 am

There was a recall on the trailer harness a while back. I had mine replaced under the recall. Go the the dealer and do the recall, if you haven't already. Otherwise check the other end of the connector that connects to the main harness.

I know this sounds stupid, but did you have your lights in auto? You wouldn't have the running lights on then.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:30 pm

Yeah, I had the key/ignition in the on position and the headlights on. I did not have the engine running during the test. Strangely enough, I only had voltage on the left signal pin when the blinker was blinking :lol:

I couldn't find any trailer harness recalls or bulletins for the 2006 Pathy, boogy. Do you have any further information on it?

I haven't crawled under her yet. I'm going to try tomorrow if I get home early enough.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:39 pm

Here's the recall I found. http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/389

I didn't know about that website, glad you posted it FoFiddyFeeFiFoFum.
Last edited by blink32 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:29 pm

blink32 wrote:Here's the recall I found. http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/389

I didn't know about that website, glad you posted it Boogy.
Um, you welcome

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:10 am

Fofiddy wrote: Um, you welcome
Yea, I was tired. :oops:

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:26 am

thats cool I was too, you welcome :P

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:26 am

ROTFL :lol:

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Ok, I finally had the opportunity to work on this problem today. I dropped the spare and checked the trailer wiring harness at it's upstream connect (roughly under the fuel fill door). The connection was good and the same symptoms existed.

Instead of tracing the wiring farther, I decided checking the fuses was a better place to look. I found a blown fuse (#32) in the "IPDM E/R (INTELLIGENT POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULE ENGINE ROOM)" panel under the hood. It was a 10A fuse at terminal 32 (see page 27). The diagram on the IPDM cover only said "tow" but there were multiple labeled that way. After replacing the fuse, everything worked fine.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”