pinging in my '05

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Sully55

pinging in my '05

Postby Sully55 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:02 am

Hello all

Looking for some opinions. About 6 weeks ago I noticed some engine ping while accelerating, especially with the AC on. I had been using 87 octane, so I switched to super. I have since filled up 5 times using super unleaded, and still have the engine ping. I even added some gumout octane booster, no luck. Also, except for the occassion of pulling out into traffic, or merging onto a highway I am very soft on the gas pedal, yet Im only averaging 12.4 MPG/city. Local driving for me consist of alot of stop signs, and lights, but I see others are averaging 4, or more MPG better than me. Any thoughts, or feed back will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:22 am

I would definitely take it to the dealer and have them check it on the computer. It sounds like the ECM is not doing it's job and may need to be replaced or reprogrammed.

One thing you can try before the dealer, is disconnecting the battery for a hour and then running for a week and see if it is still happening. How many miles so you have on your Pathy?

Sully55

Postby Sully55 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:34 am

Thanks for the feedback Boogyman. I have 6, 400 miles on it.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:26 am

I'll second Boogyman's perspective, something is very wrong, maybe the timing is off or the crank angle sensor is dieing or something...take it to the dealer, be sure to show them the problem directly with a test drive if at all possible, and hopefully they can scan the ECU for error codes and find what's causing the issue.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”