Power windows question

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Power windows question

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 am

Any one else notice if you try to put up more than one window at a time there is a significant power drain:
lights dimming (interior and exterior)?
window motors bogging down?

I've been playing with some other issues (stereo related) and I'm almost questioning it being a grounding issue.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:26 am

I definitely notice a difference in speed/sound when moving one window up/down as opposed to moving two at the same time. I haven't paid attention to any other electrical items dimming or operating differently though. Probably all routed through the same circuit that is sized just barely big enough to handle the load for cost savings as opposed to being over-sized to keep max power available.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:53 am

blink32 wrote:I definitely notice a difference in speed/sound when moving one window up/down as opposed to moving two at the same time. I haven't paid attention to any other electrical items dimming or operating differently though. Probably all routed through the same circuit that is sized just barely big enough to handle the load for cost savings as opposed to being over-sized to keep max power available.
Same here. I haven't had my windows down while driving at night, so I couldn't say if there was any noticable drain in lighting. I do know that when I roll all 4 up/down at the same time, it is slower.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:37 am

This couldn't hurt:
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=S ... l=PATHFIND
http://www.stillen.com/product_files/606347~inst.pdf
Could probably make one for $25
Not only the exterior lights, the dash and information LCD Dealer told me that is was completely normal...
I don't claim to be the master of 12v but I think a 120A Alternator should be more than adequate.
Anyone check the grounding strap form the frame to the body (size location)?
My Girl's Jetta lost it's timing belt and we have had to "share" the path
:roll:

Ben H Aussie

Postby Ben H Aussie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi Guys,
Every car that I have ever had with Power windows has always done this, when 1 window goes down at a time they go real quick, the more at once they go slower and slower. My Pathis is no different. If there is a fix that would be good.
Thanks, Ben.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:53 pm

Ben H Aussie wrote:Hi Guys,
Every car that I have ever had with Power windows has always done this, when 1 window goes down at a time they go real quick, the more at once they go slower and slower. My Pathis is no different. If there is a fix that would be good.
Thanks, Ben.
Same here. Probably owned 25-30 different cars, and all did the same thing. I've never had an issue with it and just chalked it up to marginal power availability.

NVSteve - just curious, how do you manage to activate all four PW switches at the same time? Based on the manual dexterity that would require, you must be left-handed :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:19 am

SilverGhost wrote: NVSteve - just curious, how do you manage to activate all four PW switches at the same time? Based on the manual dexterity that would require, you must be left-handed :wink:
It's actually pretty easy. It's also always fun to roll down the window on someone & lock them out of their window control. I can handle 4 windows at once, but my girlfriend still can't manage her 1 window control-she always pushes it all the way so that it rolls all the way down or up. She just doesn't have the dexterity to lightly push it to get it to roll down just a little. Yet she works in a lab with very delicate instrumentation, so go figure. I guess there's some truth to what they say about women & cars.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”