revisiting tire size

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

guinnessjim

revisiting tire size

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:01 am

ok....so i know this has been covered in several other threads, but i am interested in hearing about the upgrades from your stock tires.

i will be getting the OME suspension shortly, which will be closely followed by some new shoes...how have the ones on your guys' rigs worked out so far. i read numerous threads and can see what many of you are running from your signature lines. any thoughts on your set up? some of you initially reported initially reported rubbing issues - what are you thoughts knowing what you know now?

i am looking at 285/75r16s on my stock rims at this point. i know some of you (Racer) are running 285/75r16 and had to so some modifications. things been ok so far? are you getting rubbing due to width? if so, do you think the OME suspension might fix that?

how about rubbing w/ 285/70r17? (i know Blink is running this) any issues now that you have had it a bit? might consider picking up a pair of 17" black steels if this set up works better.

what about peeps running the 265s w/ OME? haven't heard of rubbing problems, but do they look ok? does the 1+" ground clearance make a noticeable difference?

looking at nitto terra grapplers, cooper ATR, and yoko geo A/TS at this point. any thots?

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:06 am

These are probably about largest that you can fit without serious modification;

...as used in Iceland for their offroad use. :wink:

YMMV

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:23 am

yeah...Iceland has some seriously mod'ed trucks. lotsa cool stuff over there (spent a week in Akureyri....would love to go back).

but i don't need/want a glacier crawler ;) cool as they may be. just want a bit more ground clearance and some better AT shoes.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:57 am

guinnessjim wrote:... just want a bit more ground clearance and some better AT shoes.
Sorry, I'm not real clear on the exact measurements of bit's and betters this morning but both used to be close to about a hand as I recall. :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: revisiting tire size

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 am

guinnessjim wrote: i am looking at 285/75r16s on my stock rims at this point. i know some of you (Racer) are running 285/75r16 and had to so some modifications. things been ok so far? are you getting rubbing due to width? if so, do you think the OME suspension might fix that?
Still considering that myself. The OME offers enough clearance, but my debate lies with getting 285s that will add only 1/2" to the clearance, 1" to the width, but with a drop in MPG and power. Is it worth it? That's my biggest question at the moment.
what about peeps running the 265s w/ OME? haven't heard of rubbing problems, but do they look ok? does the 1+" ground clearance make a noticeable difference?
This is about the only pic I have that kind of shows what 265s and the OME look like together:
looking at nitto terra grapplers, cooper ATR, and yoko geo A/TS at this point. any thots?
Only that I'm considering the same, more or less, but also if it will be 265, 285, P rated or LT rated, etc.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:10 am

Nope, no rubbing, at full lock or otherwise. Just got back into town from another snowy weekend in Tahoe, tires did great.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 am

RacerZX wrote:Nope, no rubbing, at full lock or otherwise. Just got back into town from another snowy weekend in Tahoe, tires did great.
that is after your dremel and heat gun mods, right? any concern w/ accumulating crud up in the wells?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 am

Yeah, after those modifications I did to the liners.

On a previous trip it was more snow and slush, and yeah, there did get to be enough buildup that I got a little rubbing, but not enough I would consider at all worrisome.

OTOH, I'm a pansy native Californian that just goes and plays snowman for a weekend at a time. If you live in the deep freeze for months on end, maybe it could be a problem? I really don't know.

guinnessjim

Re: revisiting tire size

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:02 pm

NVSteve wrote:Still considering that myself. The OME offers enough clearance, but my debate lies with getting 285s that will add only 1/2" to the clearance, 1" to the width, but with a drop in MPG and power. Is it worth it? That's my biggest question at the moment.
yeah, i am having the same thought re: the 285s. i ran 265s on my F-150 and never really had any traction issues, although i didn't take it the places i took my T4R.

wider tires look sweet, but if there is a rub issue (not sure i have the confidence to do what racer did to fix it), that might make the decision easier.

*and the 265s look find on your ride....i do like your OR wheels better than my stocks, but oh well.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm

I am running 265/75/17 Terra Grapplers with the Rancho lift, but will be going to OME soon. I had to remove the front mud flaps, but I am running 17x8 wheels.

I think on the whole BFG all terrains are better tires off road and in snow, however, the Nittos are cheaper, and seem to have better on road manners (except on ice).

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:46 pm

RacerZX wrote:Yeah, after those modifications I did to the liners.

On a previous trip it was more snow and slush, and yeah, there did get to be enough buildup that I got a little rubbing, but not enough I would consider at all worrisome.

OTOH, I'm a pansy native Californian that just goes and plays snowman for a weekend at a time. If you live in the deep freeze for months on end, maybe it could be a problem? I really don't know.
well...ATM, i am in Las vegas - not much chance of daily snow issues here. i was thinking more along the line of the nasty clays and muds that one can find themselves in out this way. driving around the san rafeal swell (UT) a few autumns ago i hit some clay that ended up being essentially cemented inside my wheel wells on my F-150...there were no rubbing/sticking issues then, but given the more confined space on my pathy (and the mudguards) that might have become a problem. (maybe not though....hard to say how much would be naturally cleared due to wheel action)

i guess i am also a little concerned about wheel clearance during articulation....i think i need to just put some different tires on post-OME and see how much room i have.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:52 pm

guinnessjim wrote: i guess i am also a little concerned about wheel clearance during articulation....i think i need to just put some different tires on post-OME and see how much room i have.
I posed the same question a while ago. Since then, I've spent some time eyeballing my tires and wheel wells. A 1/2" extra (285s) on either side certainly looks like it will easily fit, at least in terms of up/down articulation. I did notice that I had ice caked inbetween the wheels and wheel wells when I walked out to my PF after work yesterday. Above the wheels was clear, but I literally had slabs of ice cemented between both sides of the tires. I knocked it all off before I drove home, but that made me think of muds or clays also. An extra 1/2" closer to the wells might be too close for comfort, especially when little rocks are always part of that mud/clay.

How soon will you be attempting different sized tires?

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:03 pm

NVSteve wrote:How soon will you be attempting different sized tires?
hopefully w/in the next week...my OME should arrive and hopefully be installed this week. shoes will follow shortly.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”