Losing power when climbing hills

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

dashkendar

Losing power when climbing hills

Postby dashkendar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 pm

HellO I just got a 1990 pathy and decided to take it 4 wheeling more specifically hill climbing I put her in 4low and once it gets half way up the engine loses power and starts to chug up the it will go then stop go and stop just changed spark plugs and new wires and cap and rotter a couple of days before the I found a small box which is the ecu box but at the time I thought it was some sort of audio amp so I turned the dial clock wise I'm not sure if that is the reason but you never knOw Im thinking it's the fuel filter any suggestions? I would really appreciate it since I love climbing hills

daver123

Postby daver123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:54 pm

That little dial allows you to set different diagnostic modes. If you return it to the counter clockwise position all should be well with that, but it wont cause the issue of losing power. I would check the air filter as a start, this happened to me. If the filter is clogged normal driving might seem fine but a hill climb will kill it.

Simon

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:12 am

Change your fuel filter ASAP, also change your Air Filter.. and if it's a petrol model (don't think you get a diesel in the US do you?) I'd suggest running it on high octane petrol for a few weeks (I run mine on it full time but it's a completely different reason out here).

As you've just got it I'd also suggest a full oil and oil filter change as well as going underneath and greasing up every point you can find! The engine oil - if it's old can lose it's viscosity - which CAN cause all sorts of problems as well..
Take off the diff fillers and use your little finger to check the level (it should be just below the hole)..

If you are still having problems after all of that then take it to a mechanic, but all the above should be less than $100 for parts and doing it yourself.. and should always be done when you buy a new vehicle.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Simon

dashkendar

Postby dashkendar » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Thank you guys i wil give those suggestions a try and post up later.

I had another question i was thinking of putting 4 point harrness in and was wondering if i can attach the back clips to the 2 clip holes just below the back seats

Simon

Postby Simon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 am

dashkendar wrote:Thank you guys i wil give those suggestions a try and post up later.

I had another question i was thinking of putting 4 point harrness in and was wondering if i can attach the back clips to the 2 clip holes just below the back seats
I'd suggest checking with a mechanic, you might find that you need special bolts fitted for it, otherwise it might rip out when you need it most.. Even if it means you have to pay someone to fit it I'd say that'd be worth it, if it only saves your life once the money will be well spent on having it done properly. ;)

Good luck.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”