is everyone else putting premium in?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Lexxii

is everyone else putting premium in?

Postby Lexxii » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 am

ive been doing it and now some people i know are telling me regulars fne but im not sure so i keep putting premium in.

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 pm

I was putting 87 up until recently. I haven't been able to tell but I don't tow anything

Lexxii

Postby Lexxii » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm

wait so now your putting regular in and its fine? i don't tow anything either

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm sorry maybe I shoul dhave explained a little better I just read what I posted and I had to do a double take. I was using 87 until recently and then switched to 92. I haven't been able to tell any differences, some of the other guys in the other posts reported mileage gains or more power, but as i rarely step on it, I don't see it. Just search the forums and make your decision from there I juse like the piece of mind from using premium.

Lexxii

Postby Lexxii » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm

oh okay that makes sense, yeah ive been using premium and i do notice a difference if i put the regular in. I just wanted to find out if anyone else was putting in the better fuel as well. Thanks for explaining it better!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 am

Here are a few threads for you to read up on.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=5384

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=5267

2nd one is the best to read.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 am

Save your money and drop to regular.... no towing? no racing around? You won't notice anything... figment of yer imagination if ya do... but you might notice a heavier/thicker wallet...errr pocketbook in yer case I guess... (That remark was in no way meant to be offensive :oops: )

I only dump in Premium 2 tankfuls prior to towing, and even then, I doubt I need to..

MM

jetwrangler

Postby jetwrangler » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:15 am

In all vehicles I have owned and driven, regularly, I have never put in premium and felt a difference between it and regular. The range goes from Cadillac, Jaguar, Infinity's, Hondas and many more. IMHO Unless you are running a racing engine (super high compression ratio) and actually racing it (in which case go to the airport and buy some 100LL) there is just no need to spend the money.
As to those towing, I wont begin to try and weigh in on that one. The biggest thing I tow is a 4 Wheeler to deer camp and back. Most of the time I forget its back there it's so light.

phrozeinglass

Postby phrozeinglass » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 am

I am still putting premium in. Anyone have any easy suggestions to help with better gas mileage?

Lexxii

Postby Lexxii » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:04 pm

ive been keeping the premium in and my cruise control really helps my gas mileage.

Rocky16

Postby Rocky16 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:38 pm

I have always used regular, truly you will only see the mileage difference on highway it will go up if u use premium, city driving I would stick to regular. It does not make any difference per nissan tech.

res0ippr

Postby res0ippr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 pm

I have always used regular but reading about premium vs regular, has me concerned (and confused). I have decided to step up to mid grade as the engine does not have a high compression ratio to take advantage of premium. I will simply do it as I plan on keeping my 06 PF forever and better gas have better cleaning agents (hopefully).

As far as saving gas, I am stepping into Mob.1 0w-30 for next oil change. I heard good things about.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:13 pm

res0ippr wrote:I have always used regular but reading about premium vs regular, has me concerned (and confused). I have decided to step up to mid grade as the engine does not have a high compression ratio to take advantage of premium. I will simply do it as I plan on keeping my 06 PF forever and better gas have better cleaning agents (hopefully).

As far as saving gas, I am stepping into Mob.1 0w-30 for next oil change. I heard good things about.
I've used the Mobil 1 0w-30 in my jeep. It's the green top correct? Better fuel economy? I did notice with mine prior to lifting it, I got around 19-20 with my V8 at an average speed of 65-70 mph. After I started using Mobil 1 0w-30 I started averaging 21-22 with my V8 at 65-70 mph. Then I got all crazy and lifted the Jeep etc. Dropped me back down.

MichaelT

Postby MichaelT » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:29 pm

So if I tow occasionally, should I put premium in only when I'm towing? Or would I have to use premium all the time to notice any difference? I've always used the middle grade for my SUVs. For my wife's sports car, we use premium and synthetic oil. I'm thinking about switching to synthetic Mobil 1 for the Pathfinder to see if it improves mileage.
Last edited by MichaelT on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetwrangler

Postby jetwrangler » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 pm

I've used the Mobil 1 0w-30 in my jeep. It's the green top correct? Better fuel economy? I did notice with mine prior to lifting it, I got around 19-20 with my V8 at an average speed of 65-70 mph. After I started using Mobil 1 0w-30 I started averaging 21-22 with my V8 at 65-70 mph. Then I got all crazy and lifted the Jeep etc. Dropped me back down.
I don't see how this is possible once the engine warms up it doesn't even matter anymore.

"To better understand, in a 5W-30 oil, the "W" stands for winter performance. In winter weather the 0W oil will flow like a 0W oil, and the 5W will flow like a 5W oil and a 10W will flow like a 10W oil just until the engine warms up. This multi-grade performance allows faster oil flow during cold start, however when the oil warms up, they all reach the designated 30 weight viscosity." Information from the AMSOIL website.

Maybe it's cause I live down south but I haven't ever known oil to improve MPG. Of course winter is maybe 2 months long here and it's always hot.

As for the premium gas, I have never seen it beneficial to a daily driver. We now have gas stations promoting "conventional gasoline" and I have heard people getting better mpg from it. But it doesn't have any ethanol or detergents, supposedly. Gonna try a tank next fill up. I average 18.89 mpg and use Castrol 5W-30 Syntec and change the oil every 7500 miles. My Path sports the 4.0 V6

Return to “General Automotive”