Side window scratches

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Side window scratches

Postby Gray » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:35 am

I was at a stop light the other day and had the drivers side window rolled down about half an inch and the truck facing toward the sun which was at a low angle and at about 10 oclock. I noticed that the whole top 3/8 inch of the window had fine vertical lines probably in whatever glass Nissan is using for windows, but didn't have time to check if the scratches are on the inside or outside.

As the truck only has 20,000K kms and these scratches are going to get continually worse I'm wondering if there might be any recourse to get Nissan to replace the window due to 'defective window glass hardness quality' or 'excessive window wear due to the sealing strip'. The windows including the leading top edge are kept clean so I think that what might be doing this is the sealing /brush strip along the door edge.
Last edited by Gray on Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:28 pm

To my knowledge, there is no factory applied tint film available on any vehicle. If you do in fact have tint film, as I do, it is aftermarket stuff and Nissan would bear no responsibility for its durability. The light tint in the front two doors, as well as the darker tint everywhere else, is impregnated in the glass.

To be honest, nearly every vehicle I have owned has eventually developed scratches on the door glass, inside and out. Dust and grit inside those rubber seals is the culprit, and it's physically impossible to keep it out. Some, possibly all, of my vehicles had a padded guide inside the door structure, which also accumulated similar crap and scratched the glass, even without tint film.

Unfortunately, the only way to avoid the scratches is to never put down the windows. :|

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”