Aftermarket audio installs

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Just_Visiting

Aftermarket audio installs

Postby Just_Visiting » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:44 am

Hey folks........

How about some pics and descriptions of installs that you have or have seen for 05-06 Pathfinders. I'm in the planning stages and trying to see what's worked or not worked for some of you.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:58 pm

I installed an Alpine IVA-W200 HU with a rearview camera. This system can play DVDs, and also has an iPod interface. The setup cost around $1700 installed. The rear camera is mounted just left of the license plate. A/V input and output connections, and the iPod cable, are stored in the center console. where I can attach them to backseat monitors or a video game console.
ImageImageImage

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:43 am

Wow! :shock:

That looks simply fantastic. Was the hole in the dash a proper double-din so the new HU just slid right in? Did you do any other upgrades to the sound system while you were at it?

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:34 am

The Alpine is double-din and it just slipped right in, or at least so I was told by the installer. I feel a lot better backing up with the camera, so I don't roll over toys (or kids!) in the driveway.

I'm not planning to upgrade the speakers, as the stockers sound fine for my unsophisticated ears. I was mainly focused on getting the rearview camera (for me) and iPod interface (for the kids). The DVD player will come in handy on long trips. I still need to get some rear seat monitors that I can mount on the headrests, but that can wait for now. The Alpine HU supports additional options, like an HD radio tuner, remote multi-CD jukebox and a GPS navigation unit. It also plays WMA and MP3 files on CD. You can download different 'wallpapers' from the Alpine website, to add some variety to the look of the unit.

I also looked at some Kenwood double din units, with a lot of similar features. One of the things that sold me on the Alpine model was the tactile feedback that you get when pushing buttons on the touchscreen. It's hard to describe, and I'm not sure how they do it, but it helps for navigating the menus faster.

Just_Visiting

Postby Just_Visiting » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm looking at going with one of the Kenwood double-din in-dash dvd players. I'd probably look to replace all speakers with 2 aftermarket component sets and a 4channel amp that i can mount under one of the front seats. I'll be taking them out this weekend to get some measurements to see what will fit. I've read that the front speakers are 6x9's and the rear doors have 6.5's. My goal is to keep my ride stock to the eye. Whatever sub enclosure I build will be setup to sit behind the 3rd row seat, but be able to slide forward when that seat is flat.

Sully55

Postby Sully55 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:46 am

That looks so sweet. :mrgreen:

Nice job Rocky. Im gonna have to look into getting something set up like that. Thanks for the pics bro.

John

Sully55

Postby Sully55 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:51 am

Rocky, one question. Is there any restrictions on the unit while you are driving. Such as, watching dvd's or using the touch screen menu? Thanks

John

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:00 pm

John, you're correct, the Alpine unit only permits watching videos on the dashboard screen while the parking brake is applied. Also, you can't access the menus for DVD settings and detailed frequency response while moving. I can run the iPod via the touchscreen, and and most everything else, while driving. Interestingly, I can also leave the rearview camera on continuously, it's not limited to just reverse gear.

All of the Multimedia HUs that I researched have this video restriction, although it should be possible to overcome with some creative re-wiring, especially if you do your own install. Remember, of course, that it's designed that way for safety.

Just_Visiting, good luck with your plans. I've not done any research on speaker sizes. Be sure to give us a post on what you find out.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:02 pm

It's probably just tapping the ebrake signal wire, senseing when it's on. Attaching that to a continuous +12 wire should cure that bit of silliness :roll:

Just_Visiting

Postby Just_Visiting » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 am

Rocky,

You should have just gave the installer a nice tip and he would have done the ebrake mod for you. I wouldn't be that concerned about safety. People seem to forget that we all can multitask quite well. I had an indash dvd player in a previous car with a TV tuner. No more distracting than switching out a cd while talking on the cellphone and checking out that hot chic in the car next to you..... :D Anytime I went on a roadtrip, the last in-town stop was to Blockbuster to grab a couple of new releases to keep my gf occupied (mainly so that she would keep her eyes off the speed-o-meter) :shock:

Maybe we can start and official audio specifications thread

Burt

Rear camera on a stock Nissan Nav

Postby Burt » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:06 am

Has anyone heard of a rear camera hookup/hack for the stock nav on a 05-06 Pathfinder?

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:09 am

that's sweet. that's the exact deck I've been looking to put into my Offroad. I was thinking of swapping out the speakers for either MB Quart separates or Alpine separates.

as for sub, I'd like to try to get some kind of custom install done and put the sub in the back corner where the Bose sub would go (I only have the basic HU, so I don't have correct interior piece). I'll probably put a small mono-block amp under the seat where the the Bose one mounts.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Sun May 13, 2007 1:23 am

whewww...finally got mine all installed.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon May 14, 2007 6:07 pm

Ok where are the pics and what did you end up installing?

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Wed May 16, 2007 11:27 am

I'll take some pics when I get the chance.

I ended up putting in the same IVA-W200 deck, with a PAC TR7 video bypass, Alpine Bluetooth module, Alpine amp for the speakers, amplified 10" Bazooka EL tube, and reverse camera.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”