Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Yeah, However those T/A's are frggin amazing off road, i ran a set before the LTX's and i knew i'd lose ALOT of traction in mud/snow, but once you don't have A/T's anymore... You REEALLY miss them.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am

The extra torque from the V8 will offset anything you lose in get up and go with these tires. Likey!

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Not on the highway it wont. The V8 has horrible highway gears. Taller tires will make it worse. Thats my big knock on my pathfinder so far. I can understand having one tall highway gear but 4th gear is hardly any different.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Before it was just a tick slower than my supercharged V6 with 33" tires, now with parity in tires the V8 is certainly slower. Such is life, it's still fast enough. Also my perception of speed is somewhat skewed now because the speedo reads way different (lower) :-P

During lunch today I did a de-gunk flush & oil change to Mobil1 synthetic, dropped in a new air cleaner (the old one was not Nissan and was dirty, blegh), and changed the diffs and transfer case fluids with Redline. I'm not sure if it's actually any faster, but it always feels faster after spending money on it... ;-)

Also took off the front mud guards (4 screws and 5 minutes, easy piesy), and now the rubbing up front is so minimal I may not even bother to heat gun the fender liner a bit, it's barely necessary.

Skid plates arrived yesterday, Rock Sliders and shocks arrived today, wohoo! Looking forward to wrenching all weekend...
Last edited by RacerZX on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Make sure and post some pictues of the skids and slider install. I'm still looking to do this.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Already did a write-up of the skid plates before (and referred to it again this time for the part numbers :wink: )
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=50

And yes I'll take lots of pics of the slider install...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:11 pm

RacerZx wrote: And yes I'll take lots of pics of the slider install...
Hope you like 'em. I ended up removing mine, cleaning them up & bedlining them because of the rust (I hate rust, especially visible rust). I actually prefer them bedlined because now my shoes can grip onto something when I'm messing with the kayaks up on top. Anyway, just some food for thought. Certainly much easier getting them the way you want before they are installed.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Where would one go to get bed lining done? That just a body shop kinda thing or would I need to hunt down a special place? Did the thickness of the bed lining coat cause fitment issues?

BTW, just posted the ESM for 2008: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=41620

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am

RacerZx wrote:Where would one go to get bed lining done? That just a body shop kinda thing or would I need to hunt down a special place? Did the thickness of the bed lining coat cause fitment issues?

BTW, just posted the ESM for 2008: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=41620
You'd have to hit the yellow pages for something in your area, but I know there must be quite a few places to choose from. I bought a big can of Duraliner (I think that's what it was) from the local auto parts store for about $80. I bolted them down to a couple of 2x4's and gooped it on, let it dry, then gooped it on again. Super easy & also very easy to not bedline the mounting points. I had a thread about it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Here's a before shot:

And a shiny & out of focus shot showing a fresh coat:

It has proven to be far more durable than any kind of paint, and if I happen to get a small/big chunk gouged out, I simply have to dab some more on & it will bond to the previous coats.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Nice! Ohhh, very tempting...how many cans did it take?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm

RacerZx wrote:Nice! Ohhh, very tempting...how many cans did it take?
Less than one can. It was actually Herculiner:

http://www.amazon.com/Herculiner-HCL1B8 ... B0002TDUW4

I still have some leftover in the can for future repairs. I tried rolling it on, but it was too annoying with all the odd angles involved, so I just used a brush and dabbed it on (you don't brush it on). If you want, I can take a shot of mine after work & post it up so you can see what they look like after all the snow, salt, dirt, and so on that they've been subjected to.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Very cool, though I think I'll hold off and live with the black paint for now. This fall when I throw on the ARB bumper I'd like to have a professional do the bumper, plus the fender flares, rocker panels, rear bumper, and rock sliders all at the same time. Going to look like a tank :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:17 pm

RacerZx wrote:Very cool, though I think I'll hold off and live with the black paint for now. This fall when I throw on the ARB bumper I'd like to have a professional do the bumper, plus the fender flares, rocker panels, rear bumper, and rock sliders all at the same time. Going to look like a tank :wink:
Your call, but I have to say you will probably see rust by then. Mine were loaded with the stuff. Here's a pic I took when I got home. Yes, the sides of my poor Pathfinder are filthy with road grime, salt & who knows what. I must admit that my sliders blend in quite well with the blue paint though.

PS-You will probably need a small sledge to help get them in place. I found the easiest way is to lift the outer portion into place first, then slam/tap the inner portion into place.[/img]

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Yup, rubber mallet and 5-lb hand sledge were just the ticket. Proper lift and tranny jack were damn helpful too...this install CAN be done on jack stands, but it would seriously suck. I ended up doing just a bit of spray-can truck-bed liner on the top of the rock slider bars for grip, but didn't go and goop the whole thing at this stage.

Spent most of today wrenching, didn't get as much done as I really wanted but I was being pretty anal and meticulous about the rock slider install (I'm extra super careful whenever the job involves drilling holes in painted metal :-P ). Besides the sliders I also installed a set of OEM skid plates. Tomorrow I'll be doing the Bilstein HD shocks and totally reworking the brakes, maybe airbags too if I have time.

This first pic is purely to show the exhaust system, OMFG, Nissan figured out how to make one correctly! The Evil Y Pipe is no more!

This shows the installed driver's side rock slider. Four 1/4th inch bolts go through a 1-inch square bar plus the body seam, another four 3/8th inch bolts attach those legs to the actual frame. This means there's now an un-dampened direct connection between body and frame, but I haven't noticed any new noises/vibrations in the cabin yet.

Edge on shot, the bars are pretty damn tight against the bodywork.

With the big tires and rock sliders on, and silly step rails and mud flaps off, the truck is looking pretty damn awesome if I do say so myself... :)

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:03 am

RacerZX wrote: With the big tires and rock sliders on, and silly step rails and mud flaps off, the truck is looking pretty damn awesome if I do say so myself... :)
do i dare say better than the old?
looking nice! :D

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”