Pathfinder a/c condenser fan

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Pathfinder a/c condenser fan

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:40 am

For the past few months I've noticed that on very hot days the a/c in my path has been struggling to cool the cabin when the truck has just been started and parked. I even changed the clutch fan a few months ago do to this same problem. The compressor would turn on but there was still hot air coming from the vents. If I begin to drive off then it starts to get cold, so I went to a park by my job and popped the hood to make sure the a/c fan is on. To my surprise it was not even though the compressor clutch was engaged. I then proceeded to pour some drinking water I had on the condenser. Instantly the air from the vents got cold. I tried another time to spin the fan to see if was jammed and it automatically starts to spin slowly. I got a fan from the autoparts and wired it to the originally wiring and it turns on 7 seconds after the compressor clutch engages. Now the a/c is working properly while parked. so if you guys have a/c problems while parked and the system is properly charged then check the condenser fan for failure.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:10 am

As you are well aware of, the Pathfinder has a fan clutch and not an electric fan. The fan clutch will engage and disengage based on the temperature of the fluid inside the clutch. So if you just started your truck and it's idling it will take several minutes for the engine temperature to rise to a normal level and cause the fan clutch to kick on. In my Pathfinder it will not cool as well when I'm idling as opposed to cruising down the interstate. Since yours is blowing hot air while idling I would suggest to check out your refrigerant pressures and your cabin fan and filter.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 am

The pathy has both a viscous fan clutch and electric fans.

You will only hear the electric fans when the truck is very hot, though. Sounds like a hovercraft! :)

To the OP, are you saying that the big fan in the middle is not turning at all? That doesn't sound right. I agree with Deer. Have you had your AC system checked? Sounds like you are low on refrigerant.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:50 pm

deermjd wrote:As you are well aware of, the Pathfinder has a fan clutch and not an electric fan. The fan clutch will engage and disengage based on the temperature of the fluid inside the clutch. So if you just started your truck and it's idling it will take several minutes for the engine temperature to rise to a normal level and cause the fan clutch to kick on. In my Pathfinder it will not cool as well when I'm idling as opposed to cruising down the interstate. Since yours is blowing hot air while idling I would suggest to check out your refrigerant pressures and your cabin fan and filter.
The electric fan is on the engine side of the radiator, toward the right, partially covered by the fan shroud.

Return to “R51 General Chat”