broke my front diff time to trade it in

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:18 pm

the gx you are talking about I believe is this one...

http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbuild ... omization/

really is an amazing vehicle, but I would love to keep the pathy b/c it was my first choice over any other vehicles..

the verdict will be in tonight from the dealership...

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:03 am

MAKE THAT TODAY...

marked001

Postby marked001 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 pm

..so what's the verdict?

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:25 pm

it's a negative...the factory rep came in and observed it for 5 min and left. seeing that the case was cracked in half he said it was an impact, but little does he know that it cracked on the freeway on my way to the dealer. oh well ...I'm selling the pathfinder tomorrow morning and I will still have the coil and shocks for sell

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Ouch man, really sorry to hear that, good luck.

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:04 am

for all of you who are wheeling their r51...
the dealer quoted 2500 to repair the front diff w/ their discount
~1200 for the diff
~550 for each axle
~about 5 hrs of labor at 80/hr

bender031

Postby bender031 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:50 am

Thats rough man, steep bill, sounds like you didn't put up much of a fight to the dealer, it wasn't caused by impact was it? did your vehicle show signs of wheeling it when you took it in? Did you mention your knowledge of numerous other diff failures in the pathy/frontier/xterra?

best of luck, what are you going to get?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:35 am

I can agree with you on the dealer side of things. The Nissan dealers here in SoCal was the final straw for me. I have had numerous nagging problems with my pathy since I bought it, rattles, air conditioning, power steering, and they always claim that they "Cannot reproduce the problem". And yes, I have complained and fought with them numerous times.
I am fairly satisfied with my Pathfinder. I did buy the vehicle since I had the original hardbody that I wheeled pretty hard. I was hoping the new Pathy would follow it's original roots. Unfortunaey, that's not the case. I bought it with the intention to wheel it just as hard as my first 1990 Pathfinder. Unfortunately, my Lexus GX 470 does a better job off road than my Pathy (mainly articulation and a more rugged drive train). Plus, and a big PLUS ... Lexus dealership is top notch. Now I have this fear of breaking the front diffs when I wheel and the dealer would leave me hanging.
Because of the poor dealer support (I still have unresolved nagging problems), I will be trading my pathfinder in when the lease runs out next year.

Let us know what you decide to trade it in for.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:00 am

I just want to clarify my last post. I really do like my Pathfinder, and I am here to give positive input on the vehicle. I was only ranting about the dealer support, which I have a problem with. Also, I have 2 Altimas and a sentra, and I receive the same bad support. They never fixed my 2003 Altima check engine light and they refused to fix my 98 altima under warranty with a faulty intake manifold.

I am willing to give the new pathfinder a chance. I wil be taking it to the Borrego desert soon with some decent rock climbing. I may bring the GX 470 just in case :)

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:58 am

Hey guys....
I did sell the pathfinder to carmax...great resale value by the way!
Update on the dealer
they noted that it was impact related but would not show the place of impact. they said the cracked diffs uneven resting position was reason enough, but that was caused by the axles pulling opposite directions sigh*.
Besides the point the diff did not crack untill I was on the highway to the dealer...hence the oil was tracked all the way to the rear of my bumper, b/c the night I blew it I parked it overnight...enough time for the oil to drain and not get all over my chassis.

BUT remember...the weak internals split inside and grenaded out. BOTTOM LINE. So if the diff were to fail on you get towed don't drive or you will end up replacing the axles also which are 500 a piece

I will always have a place in my heart for my pathfinder and nissan especially b/c my 2 350z's and fx35 but my experience w/ the first yr pathfinder and all it's problems...DIFF, AC, window rattle(major), engine flutter, rattles, and lack of aftermarket support was reason enough to trade out....

didn't want to pay for the GX470, 4runner was too bland, LR3 well...I want to be able to go offroading w/o a full trail team, xterra has the same diff, and touareg is VW w/unibody so I purchased an FJ!

will conquer the same hill that broke my front diff w/ the FJ w/ pics in a few.

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:30 am

ATRAC is alot more aggressive than ABLS, which doesn't allow much wheelspin before interacting and comes w/ on/off switch for powering up hills.
On this specific mound the FJ w/540 RTI ATRAC on climbed w/minimal wheelspin and locked rear had zero spin

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Hows the Toy working for you? what are you getting for fuel economy and how is the road ride vs tha path in say the twisties.

krnnerdboy

Postby krnnerdboy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:16 am

The FJ actually has a much better ride on and off for some reason. through the twisties, you definitely feel the smaller roll bars but it is much quicker to recover from the roll and bumps,which gives it an outstanding feel of control and stability. Quality of the build seems unrivaling seeing that it is built in Japan! I would definitley recommend it to anyone that can deal w/ suicide doors. This has to be my favorite car purchase EVER!...
~03 avalanche rip
~05 350z
~98 tacoma
~05 fx35
~00avalon rip
~90 accord rip
~02 camry rip
~99 prelude rip
~00 integra rip
~05 PATHFINDER rip
~ now an 07 FJ

bender031

Postby bender031 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:17 pm

ragpaoa- your post about confirming a rear locker for our pathy, do you have any more information about that? please let us know what you have found out.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:18 am

bender031 wrote:ragpaoa- your post about confirming a rear locker for our pathy, do you have any more information about that? please let us know what you have found out.
Yes, this is directly from ARB rep in seattle:

"After reviewing our application guide for air lockers I see that we do not have an air locker for the front axle. We only offer, for the front, the R200A applications.
For the rear, the model should be C200 31 spline (RD106) or 29 spline (RD107). You need to check the spline count to determine the correct application."

However, I do not know our spline count. If you can, please check with the local nissan dealer shop and ask and let us know.
Thanks.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”