Bump feeling when driving?

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

Gopherdog387

Bump feeling when driving?

Postby Gopherdog387 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:17 am

Sometimes when I'm driving along I feel a bump/shudder. Its not in the road but it feels like its transmission related. I almost want to say that when I take my foot off the gas it happens. It also seems to happen more often when I'm in 4WD. Is this an early sign of transmission issues? Is this something that I should take to get looked at? Fluid flush or more serious? The transmission and radiator were replaced back in May of 2013. I just want to make sure I can catch anything early if I can. THANKS!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:25 am

It's hard to say without driving it for oneself. You didn't mention what year; 2008 models have had issues with a bump or clunk when cruising around 25 MPH and then applying light throttle. This was addressed with a software update to the ECM, which may or may not fix the issue. U-joint failure is fairly common and could be a culprit, as are motor mounts and body mounts. The A/C compressor cycling "on" can cause a bump sensation, as well.

Gopherdog387

Postby Gopherdog387 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I have a 2005 with 129k on it. It is really subtle so i think i will just monitor it. It just alarmed me a bit because of the transmission issues. I have a hard time believing a flush would have a huge effect on something like that.

SteveFinn

Postby SteveFinn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:39 am

I had my trans & radiator replaced about 15,000 miles ago and recently started experiencing a shudder which reminds me of a clumsy downshift. Seems to happen around 1800-2000 rpm, traveling at or near highway speeds. I'm at 94,000 miles, never replaced U-joints, but this only happened about 10 times over the course of 3 months.

SteveFinn

Postby SteveFinn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:40 am

I had my trans & radiator replaced about 15,000 miles ago and recently started experiencing a shudder which reminds me of a clumsy downshift. Seems to happen around 1800-2000 rpm, traveling at or near highway speeds. I'm at 94,000 miles, never replaced U-joints, but this only happened about 10 times over the course of 3 months.

leonilli

Re: Bump feeling when driving?

Postby leonilli » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Gopherdog387 wrote:Sometimes when I'm driving along I feel a bump/shudder. Its not in the road but it feels like its transmission related. I almost want to say that when I take my foot off the gas it happens. It also seems to happen more often when I'm in 4WD. Is this an early sign of transmission issues? Is this something that I should take to get looked at? Fluid flush or more serious? The transmission and radiator were replaced back in May of 2013. I just want to make sure I can catch anything early if I can. THANKS!
Hello,

I have the same problems. Already changed radiator and practically all details in the transmission, but BUMP still exists.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”