'Loose Gas Cap' warning?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

'Loose Gas Cap' warning?

Postby Zen_master » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Anyone else experience this?

Recently filled up my Pathfinder and when I look down at the tripometer I now see a scrolling text telling me 'loose gas cap.' Thought to myself, simple enough i'll just unscrew it and tighten it up until it clicks. Well, I've done this half a dozen times over the course of three days now and I still receive the warning. It's quite annoying because I reset my tripometer at each fillup and the warning prevents you from seeing this data.

Any chance the cap is now defective? Perhaps it's something else I'm not aware of?

bpk01

Re: 'Loose Gas Cap' warning?

Postby bpk01 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Zen_master wrote:Anyone else experience this?

Recently filled up my Pathfinder and when I look down at the tripometer I now see a scrolling text telling me 'loose gas cap.' Thought to myself, simple enough i'll just unscrew it and tighten it up until it clicks. Well, I've done this half a dozen times over the course of three days now and I still receive the warning. It's quite annoying because I reset my tripometer at each fillup and the warning prevents you from seeing this data.

Any chance the cap is now defective? Perhaps it's something else I'm not aware of?
Sometimes the caps do get dried out and do not seal as well. Also it may take 20 miles or so to reset that code.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:47 pm

It could be the gas cap or a leak in the evaporative emissions system. Sticking vent control valves on the Evap canister are not uncommon.

Return to “R51 General Chat”