1991 trailer hitch?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

headsup

1991 trailer hitch?

Postby headsup » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:26 am

Hi, my 1991 Pathfinder SE has a receiver shaft that is 1&3/4.
so 2" is too big and the 1&1/4 is too small.

I can get the shop to mod the 1& 1/4, but really?

whats with this odd ball size, can't find a receiver shaft anywhere!

any help or advice much appreciated!
thanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:08 pm

It's an oddball size, for sure. I've heard of them, but it was a long time ago and the standard sizes these days are 1-1/4" or 2", as you've come to find out. Your options depend on how much weight you plan on towing. If you're not playing on hauling much more than a small trailer, then you can have them mod the 1-1/4", assuming they aren't going to charge you much. If it's going to cost you a significant amount, or if you plan on towing heavier loads, the money would probably best be spend towards a new trailer hitch with a 2" receiver.

headsup

Postby headsup » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:05 pm

smj999smj wrote:It's an oddball size, for sure. I've heard of them, but it was a long time ago and the standard sizes these days are 1-1/4" or 2", as you've come to find out. Your options depend on how much weight you plan on towing. If you're not playing on hauling much more than a small trailer, then you can have them mod the 1-1/4", assuming they aren't going to charge you much. If it's going to cost you a significant amount, or if you plan on towing heavier loads, the money would probably best be spend towards a new trailer hitch with a 2" receiver.

Thanks very much, I thought I was losing my marbles for a while.
I have contacted the folks who sold the rig to me, still waiting to hear back.
My shop is a very good place and they can certainly weld/mod a 1&1/4 so it will do the trick.
Just pulling a utility trailer but, of course things got real complicated real fast, as far as why the hitch was such an odd size.
For me, finding a rig like this (1991) with such low kilometres, and so well taken care of, I didn't think to ask about the hitch.
Really appreciate the advise and help around this site.
thanks again.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”