First time snow and ice, very impressed

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:54 pm

And just to be clear, some R51s (S models) came stock with a 245/75r16. So clearly Nissan thought a 245 tire was ok.

On this anecdotal evidence about the Tundra, did you use the same exact tire other than 70 vs 65? Tread pattern and sidewall ratings can change the characteristics of a how a tire rides (and weight) substantially.

To throw my two cents in, I went from a 225/75r15 to a 225/75r16 and didn't see any mileage drop on my Jeep Cherokee.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:52 pm

docwatson wrote:And just to be clear, some R51s (S models) came stock with a 245/75r16. So clearly Nissan thought a 245 tire was ok.

On this anecdotal evidence about the Tundra, did you use the same exact tire other than 70 vs 65? Tread pattern and sidewall ratings can change the characteristics of a how a tire rides (and weight) substantially.

To throw my two cents in, I went from a 225/75r15 to a 225/75r16 and didn't see any mileage drop on my Jeep Cherokee.
You're right, the S came with 245's. I personally wouldn't want that setup but I particularly care about handling because of the roads (and manner) I drive.

The Tundra had Cooper Discoverer ATR's for all three sets. I had to put tires on that truck every winter (was driving 25k-30k miles per year). It chewed up the OEM dunlops in 15k miles.

I had a Cherokee many years ago as well and it pretty much got horrible mpg no matter what so I can't imagine you'd see much of a change. Mine was geared fairly low and was just a 4-speed auto so it had a lot of rpms at highway speed. I recall 85mph was about all she had before things started to get ugly.

The Tundra and R51 (and most any newish car today) have pretty tall gearing and final drives so a bigger tire diameter will have a more dramatic impact. I drive the same route everyday so my mileage is very consistent.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:19 am

I have a 2012 Pathfinder (S) and all I run is the stock 245/75-16 tires even the replacement tire I use is that size. I stuck with that size for several reasons. I was tired of the snow grip with wide tires in the snow on several SUV's I have owned with 265 or wider tires just did not bite the snow or turn all that great in lite snow. The larger tires 265+ weigh more effecting fuel millage. And 245/75-16 tires are less costly then other sizes. I find my 2012 Pathy handles just fine with 245 wide tire even at high speeds and the grip in snow is much better. I run Mastercraft all terrain tires can't recall the exact name but they are an aggressive A/T tire and have a slightly higher load index then the stock tires an advantage when I tow my camper this summer.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:21 pm

We finally got some significant snow (8") where I'm at in VA along with one day of sleet that put an inch of sloppy ice on the roads. I got to try my Nitto Dura Grapplers P265/65R17's out in the weather with my 06 LE. I have to say I've had no problems with traction whatsoever whether it be the icy slop or driving 8 miles down the twisty, asphalt, back road to my house in 8" of unplowed snow. In 4WD-HI, she just cut her way through with only an occasional flash of the SLIP light. The Dura Grapplers are what they call a highway/terrain hybrid tire and are heavy and a little harsh, compared to the Michelin LTX M/S2's I once had. But they do have a 700-A-B rating and a nice tread design and they are pretty quiet on the highway. I think I still prefer the Michelins as they are a more comfortable tire, but they are also $50 more per tire last time a price-shopped. Tough choice!

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:52 am

this is great info for a new pathy owner, I have the '11 4.0 4x4 with the stock 245/75/16s and they seem to be pretty good, but will need replacing before too long...

Its all a game, figuring out where to sacrifice, as like many of you, I dont have the deep pockets to go all out all at once with the air bags, lift, etc. Recently read some interesting stuff on taller, skinnier tires being better for off road so totally inverted my desire to go big and bad, esp. since this vehicle will see MOSTLY highway.

Should I stick with the 245/75/16s? Or up to 265/75/16s? I love the look of the GY duratrac (LT265 /75 R16 123Q E1 BSW) but want something that is comfortable on the highway for long hauls to the camp...something possibly non-LT? IDK WHAT TO DO!!!! Lol...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:23 am

To go to the 265's from the 245's, you'll get an additional 1" in diameter and about 3/4" wider treader, but you'll also see a 4% speedometer error.

For a great, all-season, highway tire, I don't think there's anything better than the Michelin LTX M/S2. It has long treadlife, great traction and a comfortable ride. They are a little expensive; I paid $208 for one tire the last time I bought one, but did find someone selling them for $176 each last time I needed tires (I ended up going with Nittos, which are good, but now wish I had spent a little more money and got the Michelins). I recently put Hankook Dynapro H/T's on an 08 R51 and they had the same ratings and a very similar tread design to the Michelins and were $525 for the set (uninstalled). They seemed to drive well with what little miles I drove the vehicle but since I don't drive it on a regular basis, I don't have a real good opinion on them yet. They were highly rated by Consumer Reports, but the Michelin Latitudes and LTX M/S2 topped the list.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 am

nice, thanks smj

a buddy of mine just go the dynapros and loves em. they are in the mix for me...are the LTXs decent off road performers?

208 isnt bad, the goodyear duratracs I was looking at are 220 each on discounttiredirect.com...those look to be pretty knobby though.

so stick with the 245 or up the anty?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't really go off-road. Mostly highways and bumpy, paved back-roads. Only mud I see is when it rains a lot and I have to get up and down my long driveway! If you want to do some off-roading, the Michelin LTX AT2 might be a better choice or the Hankook Dynapro ATM. The Nitto Terra Grappler, which is basically a Toyo Open Country with a slightly different tread pattern, is also a popular choice if you are looking for more of an All-Terrain tire.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:32 am

the dynapro seems to be the popular choice! much appreciated good sir! the light offroading I do is limited to woods roads and well maintained trails, to get to the campsite or the lake. nothing serious, so want something that is good on road and in the 'off road' situations I am in less frequently.

its a good thing I have some tread left, I am still up in the air as far as size is concerned. I might just stick with the stock size. slightly cheaper...but something a LITTLE bigger might be good...

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm

The Cooper AT3's have gotten several great reviews. I know the set on my Cherokee served me well, both on and off road in Colorado.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:40 pm

ended up somehow with Kumho Road Venture ATs in 265/75 - 10 ply. Heavy as hell but got the dealer to buy them for me, one of my tires was bad when I bought it so they bought me a new set and I paid a lil extra (all the wife would allow) to get the Road Ventures. They are really nice, other than heavy. Quiet, grippy, nice lookin. And 10 ply. Woot!

Return to “R51 General Chat”