Pathfinder Purchase Advice

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

nyd

Pathfinder Purchase Advice

Postby nyd » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Hopefully I picked the right subforum for the question. :)

For all those that have driven both the v6 and v8 I need some input.

I'm currently driving a 2013 Explorer Sport. While the sport isn't a bad vehicle it is a CUV more in line with the current gen of Pathfinders and ultimately not the driving experience I'm looking for.

I've been looking to get back into a Pathfinder having previously owned a 2003 with full OME heavy duty suspension for the years prior to my current vehicle. To this day that vehicle was my favorite (still kicking myself for getting rid of it).

I have test driven some used 2012 V6's and while I don't feel that the v6 is under powered the V6 pathfinder feels "light and mushy". Does the V8 feel the same way or does the extra weight from the V8 help to make the R51 feel a little more solid? Or is the "light and mushy" feel simply a byproduct of the suspension that is quickly remedied with a suspension upgrade (which I would do immediately either way).

Sadly I can't locate a V8 locally for me to test drive to formulate my own opinion.. so looking for others that have had the experience at this point.

Thanks!

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:15 am

suspension upgrade...well...atleast just heavy duty shocks tend to do the trick...dune bashing my v6 and guys here in wranglers are amazed

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:01 am

I own the V8 and drive the V6 on occasion. The V8 does feel heavier. Not sure if it's the weight of the engine itself as much as the overall feeling of the drivetrain and the upgraded rear end. There may also be some psychological factors in play from the sound and response of the drivetrain.

The V6 feels "bouncier," sort if like the Frontier. It's quick and fun. The rear end is light and snappy. The V8, on the other hand, feels heavy but powerful. The engine is quieter and the rear end feels a bit more stable (though both models are pretty unstable with stock suspension).

In terms of trucks, I would say the V6 feels like driving a Toyota Tacoma while the V8 feels like driving an F250.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:49 am

DanJetta wrote:In terms of trucks, I would say the V6 feels like driving a Toyota Tacoma while the V8 feels like driving an F250.
That's a pretty good analogy actually. I drive a lot of curvy/hilly back roads and the V6 felt more agile to me and on paper they're almost identical in terms of acceleration. Never mind I moved from a full-size partially for better handling and partially for better mpg. The V8 is a guzzler. Suspension adjustments are in order across the board although I tuned mine more for on-road handling. Bilsteins and airbags, no lift obviously.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:26 am

skinny2 wrote:I drive a lot of curvy/hilly back roads and the V6 felt more agile to me
Funny, I was going to write that but decided to leave it out for the sake of not getting too wordy. The V6 is definitely more fun on curvy country roads. The V8 is a champ if you do a lot of highway driving.

As for gas mileage, the V8 is actually not terrible. We just drove 5 hours through Virginia on I-81 all loaded up and averaged 20 MPG (according to the screen). Sitting on the DC Beltway during rush hour is another thing. I'll usually get around 16.5. 15 when I'm driving angry.

I'll also second the Bilstein/airbag combo.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:10 pm

I've got a pretty heavy foot....particularly on the back roads. Passing trucks in short passing zones requires it. I actually felt the V6 was quicker in passing situations as it revs a little easier. I avg about 19ish for my commute. My previous Tundra V8 averaged 15 if I was lucky and I couldn't run it as hard. Just can't come out of a tight turn into a passing zone very gracefully in an oaf of a vehicle like that.

Return to “R51 General Chat”