towing accessories

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

06PhillyPathy

towing accessories

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi guys,

I have a couple questions about towing accessories for my 06 Pathfinder LE.

1) We're buying our trailer next week and we are not 100% on which one we are getting. We're going to be towing between 3500 and 5k pounds Any wdh models in particular I should buy? It's a 2" receiver correct? Do I need to get a special size ball, or does that depend on the trailer tongue I'll be connecting to?

2) which brake controller should I buy? Do I need to buy any additional accessories, or will the brake controller kit have all the wiring harnesses and hardware I need?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by 06PhillyPathy on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:03 pm

I've really enjoyed our Keystone Passport 280BH. Their marketing focuses on being able to tow with SUV and light trucks.

I took a look at some of the new Keystone Passports, and the weight is still pretty reasonable on the shorter units.

You will need a Weight Distributing hitch with a 2 5/16" ball. Mine is a DSP:

http://www.dsphitches.com/sale.html

But there are many other good ones out there, including Curt and Reese which are good as well.

For brake controller, I have a Tekonsha Prodigy. Its a few years old now (had it for 7 now) but has performed well.

You will have to get a relay installed to be able to have the 7 pin trailer harness. You can get it from Nissan.

Airlift 1000 are a must have. Best LT $100 upgrade available for this truck.

06PhillyPathy

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Is that 2 5/16" ball regardless of what kind of trailer/tongue I have?

What of these items, if any, would you recommend having a professional do? My dad is very handy but if you think some of these items should be done professionally I'll go that route.

disallow wrote:I've really enjoyed our Keystone Passport 280BH. Their marketing focuses on being able to tow with SUV and light trucks.

I took a look at some of the new Keystone Passports, and the weight is still pretty reasonable on the shorter units.

You will need a Weight Distributing hitch with a 2 5/16" ball. Mine is a DSP:

http://www.dsphitches.com/sale.html

But there are many other good ones out there, including Curt and Reese which are good as well.

For brake controller, I have a Tekonsha Prodigy. Its a few years old now (had it for 7 now) but has performed well.

You will have to get a relay installed to be able to have the 7 pin trailer harness. You can get it from Nissan.

Airlift 1000 are a must have. Best LT $100 upgrade available for this truck.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:11 pm

06PhillyPathy wrote:What of these items, if any, would you recommend having a professional do? My dad is very handy but if you think some of these items should be done professionally I'll go that route.
They're all reasonable DIY's. Read here for a good reference. http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=tow

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Your Dad can probably do most or all of the installation. Most of the circuit is pre-wired. The 7-pin connector simply plugs into the vehicle harness under the left-rear of the vehicle and should have instructions. The relay mounts in the relay box in the engine compartment on the passenger side. There is an adapter harness you will need for the brake controller, and it plugs into a plug under the driver's side of the dash, to the left of the steering column. There are two kinds of adapter harnesses you can get; one you will need to hardwire to the controller's harness, or, you can purchase a plug-n-play controller and harness. You will need to mount the controller, of course, but that's simple. The controller will have instructions for mounting. I've always used Tekonsha brake controllers, but there are other brands, like Hopkins, that are good, too. You do have a 2" receiver and you will need the appropriate ball size for your trailer tongue. As far as the air bags, I think they are pretty inexpensive already at around $80/set. The Airlift 1000's are the most popular, but Firestone Coil-Rite Air Springs are pretty much the same thing, only they are blue instead of red. The air bags are a great investment whether you tow or not.

06PhillyPathy

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:39 pm

This wdh comes with a 2 5/16" hitch ball. Is it possible this won't fit my trailer tongue? (I haven't bought the trailer yet)

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribu ... 49902.html

If so, does this mean you need to pick out your TT before you buy your wdh?

smj999smj wrote:Your Dad can probably do most or all of the installation. Most of the circuit is pre-wired. The 7-pin connector simply plugs into the vehicle harness under the left-rear of the vehicle and should have instructions. The relay mounts in the relay box in the engine compartment on the passenger side. There is an adapter harness you will need for the brake controller, and it plugs into a plug under the driver's side of the dash, to the left of the steering column. There are two kinds of adapter harnesses you can get; one you will need to hardwire to the controller's harness, or, you can purchase a plug-n-play controller and harness. You will need to mount the controller, of course, but that's simple. The controller will have instructions for mounting. I've always used Tekonsha brake controllers, but there are other brands, like Hopkins, that are good, too. You do have a 2" receiver and you will need the appropriate ball size for your trailer tongue. As far as the air bags, I think they are pretty inexpensive already at around $80/set. The Airlift 1000's are the most popular, but Firestone Coil-Rite Air Springs are pretty much the same thing, only they are blue instead of red. The air bags are a great investment whether you tow or not.

06PhillyPathy

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:46 pm

The air bags look simple but the brake controller looks like a huge pita, I'll have someone else do it. Did someone say u haul shops do these?

Any other type of shop?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Trailers over 4000lbs automatically have a 2 5/16" ball requirement.

My parents had a hybrid that took a 2" ball, but it was an ultralite they were able to pull with their Ford Windstar 3.8L.

t

06PhillyPathy

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:33 pm

disallow wrote:Trailers over 4000lbs automatically have a 2 5/16" ball requirement.

My parents had a hybrid that took a 2" ball, but it was an ultralite they were able to pull with their Ford Windstar 3.8L.

t
And that's gross weight? Some of the trailers we are considering are 3800 pounds dry.

Worst case scenario, if I get the wrong ball hitch with the wdh, can I just swap the ball hitch and keep the rest of the setup?

06PhillyPathy

Postby 06PhillyPathy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Also, are these the only 2 items I need for the 06 Pathfinder?

Brake controller

https://www.etrailer.com/p-90885.html

Adapter kit

https://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:19 pm

06PhillyPathy wrote:This wdh comes with a 2 5/16" hitch ball. Is it possible this won't fit my trailer tongue? (I haven't bought the trailer yet)

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribu ... 49902.html

If so, does this mean you need to pick out your TT before you buy your wdh?
You should be fine with this WDH and 2 5/16" ball.
06PhillyPathy wrote: The air bags look simple but the brake controller looks like a huge pita, I'll have someone else do it. Did someone say u haul shops do these?

Any other type of shop?
If the mounting of the brake controller in the center console is the PITA you're talking about you don't have to place it there. If you notice in the first post of the thread I linked he only disassembles the interior to move the brake controller location. You can place it where he initially had it in the first post and that is easier.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:37 pm

06PhillyPathy wrote:Also, are these the only 2 items I need for the 06 Pathfinder?

Brake controller

https://www.etrailer.com/p-90885.html

Adapter kit

https://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html
You might consider the Nissan parts instead of the etrailer for the adapter kit. The Nissan parts will fit exactly and the price is similar.

7 Pin Tow Harness
http://www.courtesyparts.com/accessorie ... 99t8-r517p

Brake Controller Wiring Harness
http://www.courtesyparts.com/towing/nis ... arent=1367

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:46 am

Yes, go with the Nissan kit that A_Z mentions. The plug bracket will bolt up and fit perfectly to the mount holes on your factory hitch for a clean looking installation and a lot less headache. You also don't need all those parts in the universal kit, as your Pathy is already pre-wired to work with the Body Control Module. You'll also need a brown trailer relay, which costs about $28 from Nissan, IIRC. These are the Nissan part numbers:

999T8-R517P 7-Pin Tow Harness
24167-A6000 Wiring Harness - Vehicle Brakes to Trailer Brakes
25230-79964 6 pole relay
999T7-WQ820 Hitch Ball Mount, Class IV - Weight Distributing

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:07 am

With a weight distribution hitch a set of airbags in your R51 and if your radiator is in real good shape you should have no issues as a matter of fact my R51 Pathfinder tows my 5,000 pound plus or minus (loaded) Jayco 23B camper much better then I ever expected and much better then my (06) V6 Toyota 4Runner.

Just take it easy on the hills keep your truck out of overdrive and on big hills drop down to 3rd gear and let the motor spin up. You won't hurt the motor pulling some revs and locking the trans in 3rd actually keeps the trans cooler not shifting back and forth between gears. If you stop at a rest area after working the truck hard on a long hill leave the truck running put it in nutral put the E brake down and keep your foot on the brake for around 5 or more minutes. This is a trick that my father taught me he was a transportation officer for many years in the Army. Being in nutral with the motor running cools the trans faster then in park. Just be careful not to get out of the truck in nutral. Also run a quality synthetic oil in your sump and you may want to shorten your summer towing change interval if you normally change your oil at 7,000 miles change it at 5,000.

TooTallMike

Postby TooTallMike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:42 pm

If my 07 SE w/ 4x4 already has the plug under the dash to connect my brake controller to, do I need 24167-A6000 Wiring Harness - Vehicle Brakes to Trailer Brakes ?

Return to “R51 General Chat”