2006 Pathy bad timing chain?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:42 pm

jrobers wrote:So I've got it in the shop now. It sat for 3 weeks waiting on them to get time to do it. For the price I'm paying, I'd wait 6 months!! But wouldn't you know it has warmed up and now the only noise you can hear is the fan since my fan clutch is dead as well. I played them the video I made and the tech agreed it's probably the chains. I hope that was the issue.
Jrobers, can I ask where you had your work done? I work in Chesterfield. Mine just started the dreaded whine at 93k mi. Thanks.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:30 pm

I had mine done at Crown Acura, because my brother works there. Other than them. Eurotune on Midlothian gave me a great estimate of 1800$ including the water pump. Not a bad price. I'd call them.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:05 pm

Jrobers - thanks.

Anyone - is it bad to continue driving with the whining? How long before this must be fixed?

Thanks.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm not a mechanic, but eventually it will make clicking sounds, and then you're done. I suspect I drove mine for 2-3 years with the whining. When it goes apparently so does your engine.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:52 pm

The whining is the sound of the chain as it starts contacting the hardened steel plunger of the tensioner. "How long to the engine self-destructs" is impossible to say. At some point, if left unfixed, the upper chain will jump timing, resulting in bent valves and even possible damage to the piston and/or cylinder walls. So, if you hear the noise, the best thing to do is get it fixed, ASAP.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:53 am

What are your thoughts on an independent shop doing this repair? Should this be done by Nissan for warranty purposes or would an independent shop be just as good? They would definitely be cheaper.

Other than water pump I was going to have all belts and hoses replaced. Anything else I should have done while they are in there?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:28 am

The only issue an independent shop may have is if they don't have the ring gear stopper, which is almost essential in doing this job, unless one does the additional work of removing the upper plenum and valve covers to hold the cams in place while tightening the cam sprocket bolts. Otherwise, it's basic mechanics that any competent shop should be able to handle.
Replacing the thermostat is an option. If one has the original radiator that has been prone to cooler failure, this would be a good time to do that, as well.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Got a quote today from local Nissan dealer:
New guides, chains, and water pump - $1650.

Compared to other prices I've seen on here that seems pretty good.

I asked them about replacing radiator while they were there, $780.
No thanks, I'll do that myself.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:53 pm

They were probably quoting the "regular" Nissan radiator, which lists for over $500, rather than the Nissan value line radiator, which is $350...at least, I would hope so. You may want to replace the radiator first, right before they do the timing chain job. This way you aren't replacing the brand new coolant that they will use in the job.

$1650 is a very fair price for a dealer if they are replacing the water pump, guides and all three chains.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:58 pm

What's interesting is she initially quoted me $1300, for just the guide replacement and I asked - "why not the chains? Aren't they the root cause of the issue?"

She got a blank look on her face and said - "well, they will inspect them to see how they look". I said no, if you replace the guides replace the chains.

So if you get a really good price, confirm what it includes.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Wouldn't hurt to bring a copy of the TSB with you!

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:44 pm

I don't know if i'll ever have this done ; my whine started at around 75K and I now have 240K, the whine does not seem to have worsen but I do wonder if one day It will seize going down the road. :shock:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:28 pm

If it is the chain, eventually the upper timing chain will jump and the valves will impact the pistons. Best case scenario, valve job, which isn't easy on this engine. Worst case scenario, the valve head breaks off and damages the piston and cylinder walls.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Pulled the trigger and had the timing chain work done today.

$1650 out the door including water pump and new serpentine belt. The guides were worn down to almost nothing and it's only been whining a few weeks. Glad I didn't wait.

Tough pill to swallow especially considering this is Nissan's fault. At any rate, it purrs like a kitten now.

With new tires and this dark cloud (timing chain) out of the way, looking forward to (hopefully) many trouble free miles now.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Well, actually it was Borg-Warner's fault, as they made the timing set for the VQ40DE in North America. But, Nissan could have owned up to the fact that this isn't "normal" and extended the warranty on the timing set. In the "old days," Nissan would have came out with a voluntary warranty for customer satisfaction reasons. However, the last decade or so, Nissan has more commonly denied common issues with their product unless forced to do something via a lawsuit.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”