Led install

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

08PathPounder

Led install

Postby 08PathPounder » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:33 am

Came upon a pretty solid light bar that doesn't hurt to much money wise. For me I was looking for a quality led bar that will go in the gap of he front bumper. I have a bull bar but prefer to have it mounted behind it to something more solid.

Here's what sold me:
http://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/tuff-s ... 168-watts/

For 1 it has a Lifetime Warranty, ip69k best available protection from water, moisture, dust ect. Military grade rating.
The spot beam is a sharp 8* where as most are 30* . 168w total built with 7w Phillips OSRAM leds. I've done my "research" and have come to realize there is a mass majority of bars that are knock off and cheap at best. I figured having a lifetime warranty I'll pay for it 1 time and have it for a good long while no matter what.

It will be here 12/8/16 and I'll post install with pictures

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Subscribed....Good night shots of course!!!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 am

I have their very first light bars and work well as for the waterproofing. When i went through puddle on a raining day i could see little bit of water inside. I been wanting to get their newer version as they have come a long way in 5 years.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:27 am

Thupertrooper wrote:I have their very first light bars and work well as for the waterproofing. When i went through puddle on a raining day i could see little bit of water inside. I been wanting to get their newer version as they have come a long way in 5 years.
That sounds like you got your money's worth over the years. These newer bars from them seem to be top notch.
I'm excited to get this thing going, comes with a nice harness and all stainless mounting hardware.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:51 am

Okay the light is in and installed I'll post pics after work. The thing is super bright to say the least and I am so happy I got this. Install was strait forward and pretty simple.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Alright everyone I apologize for taking so long but the holidays are consuming all free time at this point so, here goes...
These are the two switches I bought to replace the ones that came with the harness.
1st.) Why two switches for one light? Simple. The light is segregated into halves so in the event somthing fails, it's only half the light out not the whole thing. I was kinda pissed when I first saw two switches but I'm satisfied now for sure.
2nd.) There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original switches I just personally preferred these ones due to the fact they fit EXACTLY perfect into the empty switch banks.

Despite the fact that many car owners refuse to put marks on their vehicles or any thing like that (can't hate for that one bit) in my case, I wanted this light mounted to the vehicle solidly. Period. I could have easily mounted it on the bull bar. Simply put though, I feared if I did in fact hit something, I want the bull bar, and JUST the bull bar to take the hit. So I mounted the stainless hardware to the light the adjusted it level on a bench. After this I put ithe light (not hooked up) where I thought I wanted it, marked it and drilled it. I was forced to remove some of the plastic "+++" below the grill. I drilled through plastic and through the steel bumper itself. Safe and sound there for sure...I ended up having to get longer bolts. 2 1/2" long 5/16 to go through top and bottom of bumper rail. $.70 cents or something if you don't have them on hand.
I was a weeeeeee bit rough, cold , and numb handed when installing this light. The only time I had was an hour after work for two days in a row. All excuses aside and to be honest, I could have done a much better / cleaner install during say... a 70 degree and sunny type day. Not 13* sun setting hours after work. I drilled the holes from above with the the hood popped, and everything in tact. No removal of anything what so ever. It was a bit of a challenge because it's tight and awkward but it CAN be done. Be patient.
Here's a front view

Please excuse the fingerprints on the lenses. At this angle looking directly at the light up close, you can see the OSRAM chip behind the lenses as well as the way the light is focused through the sphereicle shape reflector

Now for some personal experiences.
With this light mounted where it is aimed properly I can see EASILY 300+ yards no problem on a dark road that's strait enough. I live in the suburbs and can shine 10+ houses no problem on my street. It's like a laser beam being mounted to your bumper. Amazing light output. I'm absolutely floored by this thing.
Hands down worth the money. Best bang for your buck and with a lifetime warranty you can't go wrong.

Speaking of which.
When I first recieved the package I was stoked on how well everything was made and packaged as a whole. Nice and secure, no broken product what so ever. EXCEPT when I went to test the light though, I noticed that there was a ground wire in one of the 2 relays that was hanging out. Simply fell out of the crimp is all. So I called the customer service to find out what gauge and size crimp it was and they said no way.
"We're sending you another harnes trash the one you got or send it back for free" In 2 days the new was at my house free of charge and everything was solid as can be. It is of HD quality and done correctly. So in it went. Comes with 30amp fuse and 2 relays all wired and shrink wrapped nice and neat .

This will blind people if aimed incorrectly so please consider this before buying. I will post a long range night shot ASAP
Please ask anything you may want to know

Happy holidays everyone !

Return to “R51 Electrical”