Bought an 07 Pathfinder, but got issues already???

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

jefndeb

Bought an 07 Pathfinder, but got issues already???

Postby jefndeb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Yep, only has 106K, which my under my tsrget, paid 7k, thought it was a good deal, maybe it is....

but today I found out, from a test at a local auto shop, that my TPMS light was on cause both driver side sensors were reporting 0 psi. guess I will go ahead and buy 4 new ones since batteries are most likely dead..

The other issue I had was that the car made a heck of a growling sound that I wasnt sure what it was. I thought that it was just me coming from a 2000 tundra with a dif type of engine. it was sorta like a vibrating metal sound at certain RPM's

Took it to a mechanic and along with the P0430 code we read and he said that he thought my cats were bad or had been gutted?

explains the code and the noise ???

So I am looking at 4 new TPMS sensors, 2 new cats and the other issue which is not a biggie is the 2 rear window struts are NFG.

please feel free to comment as I am a new pathfinder owner...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:46 pm

The TPMS sensors are usually good for around 6-7 years, give or take. I use Dorman Direct-fit TPMS sensors which I get from Rockauto.com for about $40 each. They are half the price of Nissan sensors and have a lifetime warranty.

If you can use aftermarket converters in your state, I've had good luck with Walker catalytic converters, which you can also get at Rockauto (as well as the rear glass struts).

dankmaymay

Postby dankmaymay » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 pm

My tire sensors aren't working properly either but I'm not sure what performance impact there'll be. Can anyone share?

jefndeb

Catalytic converter

Postby jefndeb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 pm

how many catalytic converters do I have in my 07 V6 and which one do I change for a P0430 code?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:44 pm

dankmaymay wrote:My tire sensors aren't working properly either but I'm not sure what performance impact there'll be. Can anyone share?
The tire pressure sensors let you know when one or more of the tires are low on air. Other than that, they do not affect performance in any way.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Catalytic converter

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:47 pm

jefndeb wrote:how many catalytic converters do I have in my 07 V6 and which one do I change for a P0430 code?
There are four catalytic converters, but the only ones that are monitored for catalytic efficiency are the two, front converters. P0430 is for the left bank, or driver's side (USA).

jefndeb

Work to be done

Postby jefndeb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

OK, thanks, I bought 4 new TPM sensors and both fwd cat converters online today

Another question or 2....

my local go to mechanic suggested that I "Bypass the transmission cooling" when I bring it in to have the TPM sensors and both Cat converters replaced...

what is this about?

dankmaymay

Postby dankmaymay » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Pathfinder r51 has a transmission radiator which sometimes has the barrier between the coolant and oil corroded and results in coolant mixing into the oil.

That ruins transmissions and is very expensive to fix

Meanwhile a simple bypass could be done in under an hour as stopgap solution and if you have an aftermarket radiator (100 USD?) You could have it done as a permanent solution.

jefndeb

white smoke

Postby jefndeb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello, this 07 Pathfinder with 104k miles is burning oil it seems, white smoke out of exhaust and I can smell the burnt oil smell, seems a little early to me for this car to be burning oil or is this normal?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:11 pm

If your cats failed I just hope fragments of the dead cat did not get sucked into the motor causing cylindar scoring thus causing oil burn!? ... Maybe time to do a compression check?

Wait till SMJ chimes in he is better with this stuff then me.

jefndeb

Fog Machine on wheels

Postby jefndeb » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:08 am

I cannot believe the amount of smoke that came out of my tail pipe this morning, and it kept smoking as if I put seafoam in it....I have only had this car for one week as of today and I am thinking I have made a very expensive mistake. but while driving I cant see any smoke at all. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:53 am

Are you loosing coolant? Is your oil mixing with collant? Is the oil a milky color on the dipstick?

Is the truck under any warranty? 30,60 days from the dealer?

jefndeb

Postby jefndeb » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 am

I will have to look at the coolant level indeed,

No warranty, individual purchase

I did check the oil yesterday and it did not look milky to me.

I was thinking that if it is only seeming to burn off the oil when first started and not while driving then maybe its not the piston rings? which I guess is better than valve seals.???

I am wondering if while not running somehow oil is seeping into the cylinders (from where?) and when first cranked all the oil burns off like a smoke machine......

wondering if I just should have kept my 260k mile tundra

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 am

It is normal to see huuuge clouds of white smoke when you feed in seafoam thru the intake as part of a clean

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”