New Pathy -- Already Looking to Modify

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

PF Flyer

New Pathy -- Already Looking to Modify

Postby PF Flyer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am

All,

Just picked up a 2012 Silver Edition and love the layout of the vehicle. I am already looking to modify a few things. 99% of my driving will be on normal, flat Florida roads but still want the off-road ability and look.

What would be your go-to (budget in mind) modifications?

Here is what I have on the list so far:

- Running board delete
- All weather mats
- Bull bar w/ lightbar ~20"
- Roof basket
- Black powdercoated wheels
- LED Fog lights
- Supersliders

Thoughts, suggestions?

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:50 am

When it comes time to replace tires. Read other replies-on your options. If you have stock, you can usually get more aggressive tires or one size up for minimal upcharge.

Keep in mind the impact on fuel
Economy

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Great Choice!! And welcome!!

Check out some of our tires threads on here.

Dont go too crazy with AT tires.. some of them howl crazy bad ( I actually took to wearing earplugs on long highway drives with one ) and compromise your highway braking/handling significantly.

Look for something milder and balanced. :D

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 pm

I will probably go with a medium tread, something in between AT and regular road tires but go a size up to get a little high off the ground and slightly wider, but not so much that I rub.

I have seen others have to take off the mud flaps, which is fine by me.

Does anyone know if the air box mod that all the Frontier and X guys do works on our model as well?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:22 pm

The powertrain in a V6 Xterra and Frontier is (except for the tuning for premium in the R51) 100% the same as in a V6 R51.

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

palmerwmd wrote:The powertrain in a V6 Xterra and Frontier is (except for the tuning for premium in the R51) 100% the same as in a V6 R51.
So you are saying the the air box mod the Xterra and Frontier guys rave about should work for our VQ40 as well? I just want to confirm since I haven't found anyone talking about it here but the X and Front guys talk about it all the time.

Thanks!

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:10 pm

I did the airbox mod. Didn't notice a HUGE difference in performance to be honest, but I can see how letting in more air would help the engine. After I did mine, it threw a code that would come off and on again. I think it was P0101 or something along those lines saying the MAF was bad. It wasn't, but I can see how a lot more unexpected air coming through would trip out the MAF. Eventually the code cleared itself and things went back to how they were.

It's a free mod, so if you don't mind hacking up the airbox a little, go for it. You will feel a difference, but it's not like you're going to gain 20HP or something from it. Throttle response will be a bit better though.

The good thing is that the Nissan ECM actually adjusts to accommodate extra air or fuel pretty well. I remember my brother picked up a 2013 Mustang and was told by multiple members on the forums that he would need a tune since he got his CAI intake because the Ford computer didn't adjust that far to accommodate the extra air.

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:08 am

underworld1001 wrote:I did the airbox mod. Didn't notice a HUGE difference in performance to be honest, but I can see how letting in more air would help the engine. After I did mine, it threw a code that would come off and on again. I think it was P0101 or something along those lines saying the MAF was bad. It wasn't, but I can see how a lot more unexpected air coming through would trip out the MAF. Eventually the code cleared itself and things went back to how they were.

It's a free mod, so if you don't mind hacking up the airbox a little, go for it. You will feel a difference, but it's not like you're going to gain 20HP or something from it. Throttle response will be a bit better though.

The good thing is that the Nissan ECM actually adjusts to accommodate extra air or fuel pretty well. I remember my brother picked up a 2013 Mustang and was told by multiple members on the forums that he would need a tune since he got his CAI intake because the Ford computer didn't adjust that far to accommodate the extra air.
Underworld, if you had to do it all over again would you do the air box mod? I plan on adding a drop in filter very soon.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:40 am

Honestly no. It was a pain not so much as to actually mod it, but to deal with the trouble code even though it went away eventually (even after ECU reset, forced clearing it, just letting ECU figure things out, etc...). I did replace the MAF with OEM as part of this and still had the code. Then one day it went off and never came back on again. It's been at least 6-8 months now. ::knock on wood::

I do have the drop in filter which was a cheap improvement. I also have the intake manifold spacer which did make a noticeable difference, but it's about $250 if I recall.

If its worth anything, the air cleaner body (PN# 16528-7S000 ), the part that gets modified, is the same on the V6 and the V8. The cover/lid for the intake (PN# 16526-7S000) is the same for both as well. The only part that is different is the ducting (V6 PN# 16576-EA200 // V8 PN# 16576-ZS60A).

With that said, the V8 wasn't available in the Xterra or Frontier. I didn't check to see if they have the same part numbers as well. What I'm getting at is that if the intake is good enough for the V8 and it's installed on the V6, well...

That said, many have done the mod and are happy with it. Other have just coughed up the cash for a good aftermarket intake. Its more of a matter of how much you want to beat up your wallet :D

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:46 pm

underworld1001 wrote:Honestly no. It was a pain not so much as to actually mod it, but to deal with the trouble code even though it went away eventually (even after ECU reset, forced clearing it, just letting ECU figure things out, etc...). I did replace the MAF with OEM as part of this and still had the code. Then one day it went off and never came back on again. It's been at least 6-8 months now. ::knock on wood::

I do have the drop in filter which was a cheap improvement. I also have the intake manifold spacer which did make a noticeable difference, but it's about $250 if I recall.

If its worth anything, the air cleaner body (PN# 16528-7S000 ), the part that gets modified, is the same on the V6 and the V8. The cover/lid for the intake (PN# 16526-7S000) is the same for both as well. The only part that is different is the ducting (V6 PN# 16576-EA200 // V8 PN# 16576-ZS60A).

With that said, the V8 wasn't available in the Xterra or Frontier. I didn't check to see if they have the same part numbers as well. What I'm getting at is that if the intake is good enough for the V8 and it's installed on the V6, well...

That said, many have done the mod and are happy with it. Other have just coughed up the cash for a good aftermarket intake. Its more of a matter of how much you want to beat up your wallet :D
I appreciate the info, I may just go for the spacers and a drop in and call it a day.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm

I am very skeptical of this mod myself.

Also keep in mind that Nissan MAFs ( which are BTW expensive) do not like oiled filters like a K&N... so if u are thinking about it fair warning... :)

PF Flyer

Postby PF Flyer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:20 pm

palmerwmd wrote:I am very skeptical of this mod myself.

Also keep in mind that Nissan MAFs ( which are BTW expensive) do not like oiled filters like a K&N... so if u are thinking about it fair warning... :)
I was going to go AEM Dry Filter, unless there are other better options? What is the big deal with the Airlift 1000? I won't really be towing anything but it seems many on here have it...

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure the things I do for the Path are functional, logical improvements and not just accessories and mods that are a waste of money.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 pm

PF Flyer wrote:
palmerwmd wrote:I am very skeptical of this mod myself.

I was going to go AEM Dry Filter, unless there are other better options? What is the big deal with the Airlift 1000? I won't really be towing anything but it seems many on here have it...

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure the things I do for the Path are functional, logical improvements and not just accessories and mods that are a waste of money.
The stock rear springs on the R51 Pathfinder are a bit "soft." The rear suspension has a tendency to "bottom out" going over moderate bumps and the rear of the vehicle tends to sag when loaded heavy or towing. The initial fix was the Airlift 1000 air bags, which provide a simple solution for around $80. Later on, Moog came out with replacement, stock rear springs, that are actually a lot better than the stock units, providing another option to correct the too soft rear suspension issue.

Return to “R51 General Chat”