new bee with a 2003 pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

seik

new bee with a 2003 pathfinder

Postby seik » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:22 am

hello all
I'm new in this group
a friend gave me a Pathfinder 2003 (70000 m) to use for travels in North America its been sitting for 1 1/2 year
any ideas where to begin he just put a new battery in it but all the warning lights is on now and it doesn't start
I'm still in Denmark but ill be going to NYC to see what I can do about the car to get it going
I know its not ideal but I want to get knowledge about the pathfinder as i'm sitting here getting ready to get going
anything is appreciated pros and cons what to do and what not to do
to this model as i'm a Pathfinder New bee
thank's
Seik
Last edited by seik on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Sitting any length of time is the worst thing for a vehicle. Rubber or neoprene seals can tend to go bad in the brake system and, if equipped, the hydraulic clutch system. Tires need to be driven and sitting can cause them to get dry rotted and lose their elasticity; the same goes for drive belts. These are some things you'll want to take a good look at. Your 2003 should have a VQ35DE engine, which is a timing chain engine with individual ignition coil packs. You'll want to check for possible rodent infestation and/or damage, especially in the air cleaner, and check the cabin filter. Look for chew marks on the wiring in the engine compartment. Check all of your fuses. Check for any open recalls and have them done at the local Nissan dealer, if any exist.
You need to define "doesn't start." Will the engine crank but not fire or it won't crank at all? If it cranks, try spraying carb cleaner into the intake and see if the engine will fire. If it does, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't, you may be lacking spark, so check for that. Last, check for compression.
If it won't crank at all, you'll need to check the starter motor and circuit. It wouldn't hurt to get an OBD II code reader and check the powertrain codes.

seik

Postby seik » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:13 am

thank's for the input
it cranks
Ill shop for some carb cleaner and a OBD II code reader when I get there
I know It shouldn't just be sitting there its not ideal with me sitting in Denmark and the car in NYC
but when He heard that I was looking for a car He made the offer even if its not in a good state but if I can get it working It would be a perfect car to travel in
I'm ready to give it a go :)
thats why I started searching on the web to figure out how to fix it
is there any books you can recommend (thinking haynes)
thank's
Last edited by seik on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Best manual you can get is the Nissan Factory Service Manual for your vehicle. It has everything you need and then some, including wiring diagrams, diagnostic procedures, repair procedures, etc. NICOclub's website has them available for free at their site for Nissans and Infinitis. NissanHelp.com has select sections, such as Engine Control and Engine Mechanical, etc., at their site's "knowledge base." You'll need to register at their site to use them, but it's free. You can find the paper version on Ebay, but they can get pricey. Model years 2001-2004 should be almost the same. The 3-volume set can run over $250 upwards to over $400 for brand new. Makes the free, online manual at NICOclub that much better!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”