2003 Pathfinder AC kinda cooling

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Micallen

2003 Pathfinder AC kinda cooling

Postby Micallen » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:11 am

I've noticed in the past week or so, the AC isn't cooling like it should. So I just checked temps coming out the vent with a probe. (Outside temp while testing is 84 deg.). 67.0 degrees at 2500 RPM. 70.9 degrees at idle (800 RPM).

I assume I need to charge it, but I am a little hesitant.

Have many of you successfully charged your Pathy?

Thoughts? I don't want to melt, and I don't want to mess the AC up. I searched the YouTubes, but couldn't find a video for our ride.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:59 pm

It could be low refrigerant, but if that's the case, there has to be a leak someplace. There are other things besides low refrigerant that can cause poor A/C performance, however, such as a bad compressor. The only way to truly see what's going on is to do a performance test as stated in the service manual using a set of R134a A/C gauges and comparing the readings to specs for the given temperature and humidity. The best thing to do, if you don't have experience in air conditioning, is to take it to a professional. Your system had green dye installed in it from the factory. He could use a UV light and special glasses to try and locate the leak. One giveaway may be oil and dirt build up around where the lines connect to the compressor or condenser or around a nick in the A/C Condenser core.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:34 am

One disadvantage to R-134A is that it's much less dense than R12 which it replaced. Roughly 10x more prone to leak. Older vehicles like ours will gradually lose gas over the years, often at the mechanical seal of the compressor shaft. Most auto parts stores sell disposable cans of R134A with gage and charging hose. There are two connections to the ac system. You always want to put the gas in at the suction side which is the larger of the two lines, which is usually the furthest away from the compressor. It's pretty straight forward, you add gas with the motor running and the ac system blowing at highest capacity until the needle on the gage is in the green. Allow the car interior to cool down before adding more. Don't overcharge.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”