front upper control arm bushing noise

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

paradigm

front upper control arm bushing noise

Postby paradigm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:12 am

The front of the truck is making noise again. This time it sounds like a metal on metal creeking noise that happens over bumps and during braking (i.e. nose dive).

After rocking the track back and forth when parked, I determined the noise (as well as two other mechanics) to come from the front upper control arm bushings. The ball joint still looks good.

Is it advisable to replace the entire arm, or just the bushings? Is it less work to do just the bushings or the same amount of work, or perhaps more work?

I tried spraying both wd40 and then silicone on the bushings, but the noise continued.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 pm

If I was in your shoes (which I may be, I'm getting creaking sounds from the front), I'd just make it easier for myself and get the arm with the ball joint. Last time I checked they weren't that much different in price with all things considered.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:48 am

I would recommend getting the whole control arm, if the bushings or ball joint is indeed the problem. I would also get some new bolts from Nissan as there's a good chance the old ones could be seized to the bushing sleeve and will need to be cut out.
That said, before buying any parts, try this: pop the hood and locate the catch that engages the hood latch on the bottom of the hood. Take a rag with a little brake cleaner or acetone and clean off the dirt and let it dry. Take a 6-inch piece of electrical tape and wrap it tightly around the part of the catch that engages the latch. When done, close the hood and road test to see if the noise is gone. If it's not, then go ahead with the control arm replacement. A common problem on 2005 and later Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontiers is the plastic coating on the latch wears off and causes a metal-to-metal "squeak" that sounds very much like a front suspension noise.

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:37 pm

smj999smj wrote:I would recommend getting the whole control arm, if the bushings or ball joint is indeed the problem. I would also get some new bolts from Nissan as there's a good chance the old ones could be seized to the bushing sleeve and will need to be cut out.
That said, before buying any parts, try this: pop the hood and locate the catch that engages the hood latch on the bottom of the hood. Take a rag with a little brake cleaner or acetone and clean off the dirt and let it dry. Take a 6-inch piece of electrical tape and wrap it tightly around the part of the catch that engages the latch. When done, close the hood and road test to see if the noise is gone. If it's not, then go ahead with the control arm replacement. A common problem on 2005 and later Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontiers is the plastic coating on the latch wears off and causes a metal-to-metal "squeak" that sounds very much like a front suspension noise.
I ended up cleaning the hood latch catch and putting 6 inches of electrical tape around the section that strikes the latch, and cleaned the latch and put silicone on it, but the noise was definitely still there and coming from the front end.

The mechanic says the culprit is the front shocks. However the shocks are not leaking?

NYC streets are destroying this truck...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:53 am

Shocks and struts don't necessarily have to be leaking to be bad. That said, I can't tell you without working on it myself whether that's the problem or not. I'm originally from NJ and used to drive a tractor trailer in and through NYC, so I know what you're talking about!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”