The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Broken Sway Bar....Weld it together?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
famousredhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Broken Sway Bar....Weld it together? Reply with quote

Howdy all....Ok new issue...seems that when it rains it pours lately....

2000 Passfinder SE manual tranny...my stabilizer (sway) bar snapped in two. Yup...the whole thing just snapped in two. I am down here in Costa Rica and I am having a REAL hard time finding a new and(believe it or not), a USED one.

So before I order one from the States I would like to know:

1). If I have the two pieces welded back together, would this work or will the amount of torque break it again?

2). Can I have the rear reconfigured with 2 straight stabilizer bars (1 for each of the back wheels) like all the newer cars have?

3). Can I drive the car without an S-bar safely until I figure out what to do?

I will eventually need to figure out a solution because I will not be able to get my car passed through it's yearly inspection without it.

Thanks for any and all advice...
Sincerely,
Little Red in Costa Rica
Stevenoskoskavi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion, but if you weld it, I would scab it. Might hold up better than just welding it where it broke. I’ve never driven without a sway bar but I can assume you’ll have more body roll in the turns so take them slow. Don’t know about the rear set up.

Good luck!
Heavy hitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the front or rear sway bar? You can run without either one of them. Lots of guys do for more articulation when wheeling. Personally...I would want to leave the front one on. The rear you’re fine without. Just be advised you’ll get a bit more body roll so be careful making quick lane changes
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't feel real comfortable with a repaired sway bar. The best thing to do is replace it. As mentioned, you can drive it without the swaybar but you will sacrifice some side-to-side stability. As far as the rear, I would leave it alone if it isn't broken.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
famousredhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Welding the Stabilizer Bar... Reply with quote

Thanks Guys... I guess I should have mentioned it is the REAR one.

I'll try the welding solution first....I'm not out anything. And if that doesn't hold, then I'll keep looking. I may have to import a used one.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that it is spring steel. It can be welded, but it is difficult unless the person really knows what they are doing.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: