Broken Sway Bar....Weld it together?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

famousredhead

Broken Sway Bar....Weld it together?

Postby famousredhead » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Howdy all....Ok new issue...seems that when it rains it pours lately....

2000 Passfinder SE manual tranny...my stabilizer (sway) bar snapped in two. Yup...the whole thing just snapped in two. I am down here in Costa Rica and I am having a REAL hard time finding a new and(believe it or not), a USED one.

So before I order one from the States I would like to know:

1). If I have the two pieces welded back together, would this work or will the amount of torque break it again?

2). Can I have the rear reconfigured with 2 straight stabilizer bars (1 for each of the back wheels) like all the newer cars have?

3). Can I drive the car without an S-bar safely until I figure out what to do?

I will eventually need to figure out a solution because I will not be able to get my car passed through it's yearly inspection without it.

Thanks for any and all advice...
Sincerely,
Little Red in Costa Rica

Stevenoskoskavi

Postby Stevenoskoskavi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm

This is just my opinion, but if you weld it, I would scab it. Might hold up better than just welding it where it broke. I’ve never driven without a sway bar but I can assume you’ll have more body roll in the turns so take them slow. Don’t know about the rear set up.

Good luck!

Heavy hitter

Postby Heavy hitter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Is it the front or rear sway bar? You can run without either one of them. Lots of guys do for more articulation when wheeling. Personally...I would want to leave the front one on. The rear you’re fine without. Just be advised you’ll get a bit more body roll so be careful making quick lane changes

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I wouldn't feel real comfortable with a repaired sway bar. The best thing to do is replace it. As mentioned, you can drive it without the swaybar but you will sacrifice some side-to-side stability. As far as the rear, I would leave it alone if it isn't broken.

famousredhead

Welding the Stabilizer Bar...

Postby famousredhead » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks Guys... I guess I should have mentioned it is the REAR one.

I'll try the welding solution first....I'm not out anything. And if that doesn't hold, then I'll keep looking. I may have to import a used one.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Keep in mind that it is spring steel. It can be welded, but it is difficult unless the person really knows what they are doing.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”