Need your opinions....

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Macgomes

Need your opinions....

Postby Macgomes » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 am

Hello everyone,,
I am currently looking at buying my first pathfinder and i would appreciate your input:
showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/
1) 1996 pathfinder 2wd, manual windows/locks etc. V6, auto with 163,000 miles. tan in color

2) 1994 pathfinder 4x4, (with auto wheel lockers) V6, auto with 165,000. black in color.

both are on craigslist and i am looking at both on monday. like i said before any help sure would be appreciated since this is my first path.

thanks to all

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 pm

They are two very different Pathfinders. The 1994 is a WD21 with 4x4, a box-on-frame chassis with a VG30E engine that shares many parts with the Hardbody pickups. They are a great vehicle for off-road modifications as you can do both suspension and body lifts. Engines were dependable, although a little short on power. They did have a tendency to develop exhaust manifold gasket leaks due to broken exhaust manifold studs.
The 96 R50 Pathfinder is only 2-wheel drive, which is fine if you don't need 4-wheel drive AND makes it a lot easier to work on underneath without the transfer case, front diff and front driveshaft in the way. 2-wheel drive Pathfinders were a bit of a rarity in the north and much more common in the southern states, like Florida. The VG33E has a little more torque and horsepower than the 3.0L. With bigger exhaust manifold studs, they were less prone to breakage, however cracked exhaust manifolds were more common, especially on the right bank, which were later updated. The chassis is a unibody design, unlike the WD21. Handling issues due to split or broken, rear suspension link bushings is a common issue. I would expect gas mileage to be better in the R50. I would expect the ride and comfort on the '96 too be much better on the highway.
Both Pathfinders have timing belts due every 105,000 mile or 6-years, whichever comes first. It's a little harder job on the '96 because of the A/C line running in front of the timing cover, but neither one is too bad, as far as timing belts go.

Return to “General Automotive”