The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
2000 Pathfinder U-Joint Cost of Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
famousredhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: 2000 Pathfinder U-Joint Cost of Repair Reply with quote

HI everyone. I Love this site Thanks for all the previous help.

Today I am asking about the U Joint:

I notice on sites that the actual part is not expensive. So here is my Q:

How long does it take to change an old one out for a new one?

What is the approximate cost to do this job?

THX!
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if I'm going to pull the driveshaft out to replace one U-joint, I'll go ahead and replace the other, as well. Spicer makes many of Nissan's U-joints, but Moog is also very good. Shop time is around 1.0 hour labor. For a good site to use for estimates, try Repair Pal:

www.repairpal.com/estimator
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
famousredhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Thank You SMJ Reply with quote

Thank you SMJ...So there are 2 U-joints? Where is the other located?

FYI....I'm a little lady who knew nothing about cars, but has learned ALOT about them in the last 15 years. NOt enough to be a mechanic..obviously, but I love to learn things, so every time there is a repair on the car, I ask the mechanic to teach me about it.

Where is the 2nd one?
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what drivetrain you have. If you have 4-wheel drive, then you have two driveshafts (also called propeller shafts), a front and a rear. Each driveshaft will have two U-joints, one at the front yoke and one at the rear yoke, as shown on this part diagram linked below:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2000-nissan-pathfinder/propeller-shaft.html?Filter=(2=VG33E)&Diagram=370_B001

If you have 2-wheel drive, you'll only have the one driveshaft, but you'll have three U-joints on that shaft, along with a carrier bearing. On some other vehicles, like a '60s Ford Mustang, for example, the driveshaft will only have two U-joints. On yours, there is a U-joint at the front yoke, then there is another one just behind the carrier bearing (part code "37521K" on the part diagram linked below) and the third U-joint at the rear yoke:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2000-nissan-pathfinder/propeller-shaft.html?Filter=(2=VG33E;4=2WD)&Diagram=370_A001
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
famousredhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Thank You SMJ Reply with quote

Excellent! Thank you SMJ!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: