Coolent (or washer solvent) puddling under truck?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

Coolent (or washer solvent) puddling under truck?

Postby Zen_master » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:59 am

The last two days I have noticed blue fluid puddling under the vehicle when I park it in the garage. I am unable to identify the source since the engine is hot the fluid evaporates and I can't trace where it is coming from. It does appear to be dripping from the engine (V8 engine) oil pan but that could simply be because it is the lowest point on the motor.

Anyone run into a similar situation and can lend guidance? The total volume of fluid is relatively small. Maybe a couple ounces or so. If I don't wipe it up it evaporates overnight and stains the garage floor blue.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:46 am

The only blue fluid i can think of in your vehicles is coolant ( Nissan went to Blue a few years back)

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Windshield washer solvent is sometimes blue. And that's what it looks like to me, but I can't think of a reason why solvent would spill over. Now on the other hand it does make sense that coolant would spill over on occasion due to being pressurized (hot). I just can't see where it's coming from.

Any ideas where the source of a leak could be that is dripping off the oil pan?

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Zen_master wrote:Windshield washer solvent is sometimes blue. And that's what it looks like to me, but I can't think of a reason why solvent would spill over. Now on the other hand it does make sense that coolant would spill over on occasion due to being pressurized (hot). I just can't see where it's coming from.

Any ideas where the source of a leak could be that is dripping off the oil pan?
You could have a cracked reservoir or bad hose for the washer fluid. A simple smell or taste test will will you what it is. I suspect that it is washer fluid because coolant doesn't evaporate all that fast.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:13 pm

The coolant reservoir is behind the right front fender. If it leaked, I would expect to find it leaking under the fender, not under the engine. You might need to have to pressure test the engine. Also, coolant has an oily feel and a bitter taste to it.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Local shop pressure tested the system. Couldn't find anything. Haven't seen any blue fluid under the truck other than those two times. Freaking mystery. Go figure.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”