The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
4wd engaging in 2wd !!??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nismopath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: 4wd engaging in 2wd !!?? Reply with quote

Lately as I have been riding on the highway, my 4wd warning light will come on and my square display that is inside the tach goes blank. I have the knob set to 2wd.
Any ideas on what’s going on ??
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check for any ABS codes. Sounds like a loose wire or connection.

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
nismopath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. How would I find that out? There is no check engine light going off.
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS light on?

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
nismopath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not on.
The is issue happens sporadically though, on a 20 minute drive it may come on 2-3times max. Each time for 30seconds and then turn back to normal.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a transfer case self-diagnostic procedure that can be performed to get the self-diagnostic codes via the 4WD light flashes in the case you don't have a scan tool that can read the codes. It's listed in the factory service manual. NICO Club's site has free access to their Nissan FSM's.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
nismopath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just go to autozone or one or those places to scan the code ? Or do you mean there is something else I should do?
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nismopath wrote:
Can I just go to autozone or one or those places to scan the code ? Or do you mean there is something else I should do?

Parts stores usually use a generic code reader that just read "P-codes." To get codes for the transfer case, you need to have a capable scan tool or do the self-diagnostic procedure listed in the FSM.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
nismopath

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok great. Now what is a FSM ?
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Factory Service Manual":

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

BTW, do you have the standard transfer case or the AUTO mode transfer case?
nismopath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok. Thanks
Mine has 2wd, auto, 4hi and 4lo
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you must have an "LE" model with the AUTO mode transfer case. A problem that sometimes occurs is that there develops a poor contact between the harness connector terminal and the pin of the transfer relay, which controls the electric transfer pump. The AUTO mode transfer case has a wet clutch and uses both a mechanical pump and an electric fluid pump. When in AUTO, the electric pump operates at speeds below 35 MPH, at idle and also when in reverse; other than those conditions, the electric pump will not run.
The transfer relay, which, FYI, is the same P/N as the relay for the air suspension in the Armada, is located in the engine compartment, not far from the brake master cylinder, and is on a small bracket that attaches to the side of the engine compartment with a single, 10MM head (6Mx1.0) bolt. It will have two harness connectors plugged in to the single relay. In many cases, you can unplug the relay, clean up the pins on the relay with a small file, tighten up the terminal in the harness connector with a pin so it will apply more tension, and put it back together and erase the codes for the fix. In my case, it worked for about a year and the problem re-occurred due to corrosion on the relay pin, so I ended up having to replace the transfer relay, which was about $35 and is part # 25237-EA000.
If this is your problem, when you check for codes in the transfer case, you will get line pressure codes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: